BYC Café

Well that's just crazy talk woman! Lots of puppies up for adoption every spring! Bound to be some Dobies available, I placed 10 purebred Great Dane pups into rescue for a lady I knew back in Ohio some years ago.
Not around here! I'm lucky to find one for adoption within 100 miles of me.
Of course, I'm not in the market for a dog and I also have my own rule that I'd rather take the older ones as they are far less likely to be adopted than the puppies. Every animal I have adopted in the last 25 years has been an adult.

Plenty of puppies and young dogs in rescue too!!

I hope he does too!!

Exactly! There’s always sooo many puppies available. Although they usually get adopted pretty fast and the older ones don’t typically. :( so I think I’d like to adopt some older ones some day too. But Libby and Franklin were both rescue puppies and they turned into the best dogs!!

Yes, lots of puppies. But NOT lots of Doberman puppies!! Aaaaand, I don't adopt puppies for the very reason you mention. ;)

Of course, I'm not in the market for a dog and I also have my own rule that I'd rather take the older ones as they are far less likely to be adopted than the puppies. Every animal I have adopted in the last 25 years has been an adult.

Wow that sucks! There’s tons here but we’re very populated in this area. And they ship tons up from the south.

But yeah, I do like adults!

Yes, lots of puppies. But NOT lots of Doberman puppies!! Aaaaand, I don't adopt puppies for the very reason you mention. ;)

Very true, haven’t seen many Dobermans. Mostly pits or labs or Pyrenees mixes ha or like collie/shepherd types.

But yeah that’s a good reason!! I always feel so bad for the old dogs

Trust me, this Pyr pup is way more of a challenge than we thought she would be! With adults you know what to expect and their behaviors are in place, puppies: not so much! This is the first puppy in about 15 or 16 years for me, and its a pretty steep learning curve.

Plus you are 100% correct when you say it's harder for the adults to get homes. Bless you for that! :love

It sounds like things are moving along nicely!
Sure is. Will be nice if we get some warmer weather and I can get something done in the garden. Been cold and rainy here, have heard of snow but can only see it in the mountains. Glad it's not on my doorstep!

Mom's leaving today! Going to stay in Kennewick or somewheres around there and be here tomorrow. Got her bed all set up and just have to gather the rest of our crap (how we amass so much I have no idea :idunno) and find somewhere to stuff it. Good thing we're only moving rooms and not houses :D

Congrats on the new puppy, @CapricornFarm ! How very exciting for you. Gotta love pups.

@DobieLover that's so awesome that you rescue older dogs. I've always been afraid of the interactions with my own dogs to even try. Although, we adopted a yellow lab (Cracker...we didn't name him...) when he was 8 from a family that didn't want him anymore. What a great boy he was. Him and our youngest son were just meant to be together. We lost him last January to a twisted gut.

Can't wait to read your article @Shadrach !

Glad the boys won @sourland ! That's quite the comeback!

Sure is. Will be nice if we get some warmer weather and I can get something done in the garden. Been cold and rainy here, have heard of snow but can only see it in the mountains. Glad it's not on my doorstep!

Mom's leaving today! Going to stay in Kennewick or somewheres around there and be here tomorrow. Got her bed all set up and just have to gather the rest of our crap (how we amass so much I have no idea :idunno) and find somewhere to stuff it. Good thing we're only moving rooms and not houses :D

Congrats on the new puppy, @CapricornFarm ! How very exciting for you. Gotta love pups.

@DobieLover that's so awesome that you rescue older dogs. I've always been afraid of the interactions with my own dogs to even try. Although, we adopted a yellow lab (Cracker...we didn't name him...) when he was 8 from a family that didn't want him anymore. What a great boy he was. Him and our youngest son were just meant to be together. We lost him last January to a twisted gut.

It is amazing how much stuff we collect!

I am in the process of cleaning up the Garage after 2 daughters stored stuff in it

So sorry for your loss! :hit Labs are great dogs. Love them. Goldens too. But I love Labs. We’ve always had Labs or Lab mixes. Great dogs. But I just love all retrievers lol

But yes, it is definitely harder to introduce adults to an existing pack. :(

That’s why we could never get a second one when we had Gator. Well that and it’s just that much more money and stuff that we didn’t wanna spend and we also didn’t think he’d be happy. I don’t think he would have been aggressive (though he was sometimes a little possessive of his food bowl with the cat so who knows) but we just always thought he would have been jealous cause he was sooo loving and almost needy and loved having us to himself haha I don’t think he would have liked sharing the attention. :lau but after seeing how much Frank and Libby love each other, I don’t think I would just have one dog again but idk. They play so much and wear each other out and really love each other. But they are both young and kinda pups still. I think they have to be the right match too. A friend has two dogs and even though they get along and do play together and hike and stuff and sometimes cuddle, one is very active and dominant and the other is very docile and lets the other kind of bully/dominate her which I don’t think is so fair. And the other is always go go go and the older just wants to chill. So I think they need to be the right match. Frank and Libby are similar energy levels. Frank is slightly more energetic and ADD but he’s also younger. But I don’t think a super crazy and energetic young dog is the right match for a older mellow one even if it can work sometimes. It’s hard getting it right though. Pup is definitely easier ha

So sorry for your loss! :hit Labs are great dogs. Love them. Goldens too. But I love Labs. We’ve always had Labs or Lab mixes. Great dogs. But I just love all retrievers lol

But yes, it is definitely harder to introduce adults to an existing pack. :(

That’s why we could never get a second one when we had Gator. Well that and it’s just that much more money and stuff that we didn’t wanna spend and we also didn’t think he’d be happy. I don’t think he would have been aggressive (though he was sometimes a little possessive of his food bowl with the cat so who knows) but we just always thought he would have been jealous cause he was sooo loving and almost needy and loved having us to himself haha I don’t think he would have liked sharing the attention. :lau but after seeing how much Frank and Libby love each other, I don’t think I would just have one dog again but idk. They play so much and wear each other out and really love each other. But they are both young and kinda pups still. I think they have to be the right match too. A friend has two dogs and even though they get along and do play together and hike and stuff and sometimes cuddle, one is very active and dominant and the other is very docile and lets the other kind of bully/dominate her which I don’t think is so fair. And the other is always go go go and the older just wants to chill. So I think they need to be the right match. Frank and Libby are similar energy levels. Frank is slightly more energetic and ADD but he’s also younger. But I don’t think a super crazy and energetic young dog is the right match for a older mellow one even if it can work sometimes. It’s hard getting it right though. Pup is definitely easier ha
X2! Sorry for your loss

Back
Top Bottom