BYC Café

I am surprised it isn't worth more. I always thought learning to spin yarn would be kind of fun
Many, many years ago, when the world and I were young, I wound up "sitting in" for the weaver at a local historical site for a few months. I learned to spin and weave on a few different kinds of equipment - well enough to do a demonstration, anyway. For me, the worst part was carding the wool. The fleece we were using had come right off the sheep, unwashed, and it had all kinds of gross stuff in it (including manure). Naturally, there was some fungus in there - something I am highly sensitive to. I'd get carding the wool, the spores would get in the air, and I'd get coughing so hard I couldn't speak. After a while, I'd get over it. I learned to come in well in advance of our first group, sit down, and card some wool so I could get the coughing spell out of the way before the people got there. (*hack, wheeze*)
th.gif

Last edited:
Would one of those white masks, they sell at Home Depot, help Bunny? I am very sensitive and have to wear one when making a new batch of potting mix for my plants. Doesn't help much but, I guess it's better than nothing.

Of course - anything that reduces dust is helpful in a dusty environment (as well as plain good sense - the fungus that can grow in peat moss can kill you!), and we always had those around for the landscape maintenance business. But such a thing kinda messed up the historical atmosphere we were trying to create, and besides, I couldn't very well talk to people like that, could I?
duc.gif

I knew what you were saying, and yes you should not hit and kick at a dig like that. Generally if you see an abused cow, what you see is one that is too skinny. But that could just mean that the farmer kept them too long, and not that they had no food.
Generally if they are at the sale barn they are meant to be culled. Some are kept, but many are culled very(the exception being if the barn is selling cow calf or pregnant cows).
Yes out calves were ok. I really tore up DH field
1f605.png
but he did not hold it against me too badly. And a cow can recover from some injuries, it depends on how badly injured. It isn't rare, something you might see once or twice at a sale. The cows get excited and start trying to jump and kick and they hurt themselves.

Thanks for all the info! Good to know and that's good the cows can recover from the injuries usually :) makes sense cause it seems they tend to leap about in the chutes? At least the teeny bit I've seen ha cause i know with horses they usually put them down right?

Thanks guys...

60,000 posts means somebody doesn't have a life, I guess. Sour I'm going to send out a tractor beam so I can pull you along - it's the only exercise I'd get.

Back
Top Bottom