BYC Café

Do you think these ladders are okay? My dad says they'll act like a lightning rod and ground... I'm paranoid. The one going length wise on the pen is holding up 2 pieces of plywood for shade and before that and still currently, bird netting so it didn't cave with snow (long past that now). The other 2 were just put up last week by my dad mowing the lawn. With the metal kennel, ladders, metal food bowl, watering nipples, etc., I'm paranoid lol thinking of moving them now. Would it hurt? I don't want fried chickens or a fire.

Last edited:
Do you think these ladders are okay? My dad says they'll act like a lightning rod and ground... I'm paranoid. The one going length wise on the pen is holding up 2 pieces of plywood for shade and before that and still currently, bird netting so it didn't cave with snow (long past that now). The other 2 were just put up last week by my dad mowing the lawn. With the metal kennel, ladders, metal food bowl, watering nipples, etc., I'm paranoid lol thinking of moving them now. Would it hurt? I don't want fried chickens or a fire.

I think with the tall trees in the background you are pretty safe. I'd worry more about a tree strike and the tree falling, and having squashed chickens before having fried chickens.

I think with the tall trees in the background you are pretty safe.  I'd worry more about a tree strike and the tree falling, and having squashed chickens before having fried chickens.

Thanks! Maybe I'll just leave them then? I thought it went for metal first? Or just the tallest object? We're set back in the woods surrounded by pine

I think with the tall trees in the background you are pretty safe. I'd worry more about a tree strike and the tree falling, and having squashed chickens before having fried chickens.
Agreed, squashed chickens are more likely, but very hard to predict or prevent

I think with the tall trees in the background you are pretty safe.  I'd worry more about a tree strike and the tree falling, and having squashed chickens before having fried chickens.

Thanks! Maybe I'll just leave them then? I thought it went for metal first? Or just the tallest object? We're set back in the woods surrounded by pine

I think it is tallest first, though it does like metal. But your trees are way above your metal.

I have heard many reasons why lightning likes hitting pines so much, from them being so tall, to the iron deposits that they seem to flourish on top of, to the needles creating a static charge because of the resins... I have no idea why, but lightning does love them.
If it is looking like lightning, just stay in. Your chickens will be fine, but you might get hit carrying the ladders away.

Back
Top Bottom