button quail ... outdoors?

Hoover67

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Huntsville
Does anyone have a website or source for info about having button quail outside? How big (tall, wide, long) does it need to be for each bird? I am just crazy about them!

There are a lot of good links on that website, near the bottom... I got my buttons from Jodi McDonald in CA.
smile.png

Thanks. The site does have a lot of info. I am also looking for a site that will tell me what birds will over winter outdoors. There are probably none but I would love to find out. I have six kids so I really hate to bring the birds in.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
It does depend on where you live. I house them outside during the "warmer" months - typically March through November and then move to a barn with a heat lamp for the winter. I'm in MO and we have some very cold weather and the heat lamps worked just fine. They can tolerate quite a bit, but not as hardy as our native quail.

Quote:
Other docile species only. I've had no problems housing with finches, hookbills, Amherst, Peacock-Pheasants and Roul-roul Partridge.

Dan

So, what's the weather like in the winter in Huntville, AL? Highs, lows, snow/rain/sleet/frost?

I'll be putting my buttons out in my parakeet aviary when they are old enough (2.5 wks at the moment)

I plan to have heat lamps for the parakeets in the winter - worst case I'll have to bring them in if it gets really bitterly cold, but days where it doesn't hit at least 50 degrees aren't too frequent here.

Back
Top Bottom