Butchered chicken meat weird smell and taste wont go away.

thinkyesi

Songster
Oct 24, 2016
So I butcher 12 red rangers a week ago or so. Did the process correct and everything. But I noticed when I cook and eat the meat it has a weird taste and smell to it that i just cant swallow it down. My husband says he can smell and taste it too but it doesnt bother him. To me it's almost like a metallic dirty smell to it. When butchering we washed the birds off well and everything. But the smell is still there. Any idea how I can get that smell to go away or lessen it?

So I butcher 12 red rangers a week ago or so. Did the process correct and everything. But I noticed when I cook and eat the meat it has a weird taste and smell to it that i just cant swallow it down. My husband says he can smell and taste it too but it doesnt bother him. To me it's almost like a metallic dirty smell to it. When butchering we washed the birds off well and everything. But the smell is still there. Any idea how I can get that smell to go away or lessen it?
I've not had any experience myself, but I know that people say you HAVE to wait at least 2 days to let the carcass rest before eating it. Did you let it rest? Have you ever butchered chickens before? Red rangers *should* taste a little different from grocery store or cornish x chickens from what I've read.

Yes I let it rest and everything, the meat is nice and tender. Nothing seems off about it except that weird smell and taste. It doesnt taste or smell spoiled, just a weird funkiness to it I guess.
This was my first time butchering chickens, I've butchered other meat birds before though many times and never had this type of a smell or taste to them.

Yes I let it rest and everything, the meat is nice and tender. Nothing seems off about it except that weird smell and taste. It doesnt taste or smell spoiled, just a weird funkiness to it I guess.
This was my first time butchering chickens, I've butchered other meat birds before though many times and never had this type of a smell or taste to them.
Hm. What'd you feed them? They say you are what you eat.... but maybe rangers just aren't for you!

I fed them country lane 22% meat bird crumbles.
Maybe next time I'll have to try another breed I guess

Thank you for this thread. We need to cull a few Orpington roos soon and I need to know everything about the process again; this is my first time in over 40+ years. This country girl is a bit rusty, but my "city-slicker" husband has never done it. Pray for us please - quickly.

I'd check the feed. Flax or fish meal will give a fishy taste to the meat. When you say weird, what is it similar to? Metallic, dirty doesn't ring a bell with me.

Based on the information provided, I'd recommend a change in feed a week before processing to something else and see if it is that. If they forage, it could also be a plant they are eating.

Best wishes!

Thank you for this thread. We need to cull a few Orpington roos soon and I need to know everything about the process again; this is my first time in over 40+ years. This country girl is a bit rusty, but my "city-slicker" husband has never done it. Pray for us please - quickly.
search in the meat bird section. Lots of information posted about processing. Utube has some decent videos also. Cheers & Prayers! You will do fine. Go slow and purposefully.

Check Youtube.com

Back
Top Bottom