Bumblefoot?

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
I discovered the strangest things on my chickens feet tonight. I noticed that a couple of them had swollen feet, and upon further inspection I noticed something wedged in between the "webbing" of their feet. It looked like compacted dirt or poop. I had to peel it out, like removing a scab, and it pulled a layer of skin with it. I checked over all of the chickens and 7 or 8 had them. Most of them were between their toes, but a couple were in the padded part of their foot. A couple of them bled, one pretty heavily. I sprayed all of them with veterycin and wrapped the ones who bled with gauze and separated them.
What could this be? Is it bumblefoot? Or just build up of dirt? They are on sand (which I fully cleaned out a month or so ago) with a cement run, which I know can cause problems but they don't spend much time in there because they are out all day. I am really stumped.

Yes, that does seem like what it is. I've had bumblefoot happen before, but never like this. The black "plug" is not in the middle/padded part of the foot, and when pulled out does not seem to be in the foot, just against the skin. We will see how everyone heals.
Here is a photo of one of the plugs I pulled out that was wedged in the webbing of her foot.

Attachments

• IMG_4299.JPG
    IMG_4299.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 13
It's kinda hard to picture where this came from...did you happen to get a before picture?

Back
Top Bottom