Bumblefoot or something else?

Quackalack

Chirping
Feb 23, 2022
Hi, my poor duck started limping about three days ago and I'm not sure if he has bumblefoot or something else that may be more urgent to find an avian vet.
I don't see any scab or anything and his leg is warm. He is still eating and drinking and after a night a being cooped up he seems like he feels better and runs out of the coop but then after several minutes of foraging he starts sitting but still tries foraging while sitting.
He's a 4 year old Ancona and he gets picked on by his two brothers this time of year. I've got them separated for now. I've been letting him out of his coop into a smaller section of the yard, but should I be keeping him contained to an even smaller area? I've started doing Epsom Salt soaks (which he hates but we're getting better at it) and we've sprayed with Silver Honey once a day. Should I switch from Silver Honey to the Vetericyn I usually see recommended? Any other recommendations to see if we can help him at home?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Messenger_creation_b7718e83-3e00-4e70-a4ba-0fd6e6213df4.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_b7718e83-3e00-4e70-a4ba-0fd6e6213df4.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 32
That’s looks very much like the bumble my Runner had like a marble under the skin. I had her on antibiotic for 7 days I finally ended up opening a small slit with a scalpel and popped it right out. How does that bump feel? Hard, soft?

That’s looks very much like the bumble my Runner had like a marble under the skin. I had her on antibiotic for 7 days I finally ended up opening a small slit with a scalpel and popped it right out. How does that bump feel? Hard, soft?
Thank you for your reply. It is hard.

If you can take your duck to the vet that is one option when I took mine she never even offered to open it but after 7 days on the antibiotic with no change I knew I had no choice but to get it out.

@Quackalack please let me know how your duck is doing and what you decide to do. Thanks
I made a vet appointment but they can't see him until May 17th! I watched some videos on bumblefoot surger and they seem to risky for me to do myself without more experience.

He's doing okay for now, still in pain but still eating and drinking at least. Do you know if any of the antibiotic sprays or ointments can help prevent the infection from spreading to other parts of his body while I wait for the appointment? I'm still soaking his foot in Epsom salt daily and I have the equate version of betadine , prid and triple antibiotic ointment (no pain relief) Would any of those help even though there's no open wound? Thanks!

I think I spoke too soon. He is going downhill fast it seems. He didn't eat today and he just laid down all day. In his side of the coop I found tiny bits of minty green poop and when I picked him up today his breastbone felt more prominent and he seems skinnier. I ordered some Enrofloxacin, but don't know when that will get here or if it would even help.

Back
Top Bottom