Bulls-eye in eggs but no rooster?

hcammack

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Vermont
Ok I just cracked some eggs and I could have sworn I saw what looked like a bulls-eye that signifies firtilization of an egg. Well you say ok he has a rooster that doing his job but I don't I have 11 hens that live in the suburbs with no other chickens that I know of withing atleast several miles and I have seen no lingering strange chickens ! what is happening I tried to take a pic but the reflection just bounced back. I don't have any crowing! any suggestions as to what might be going on I will look up the bulls-eye pics to refresh my memory but I think I defeniatly saw two.

Henry

Wait maybe it was just an infertile egg with a large white spot not sure just making me nervous/ Exited.

Henry

Henry, this isn't really a response to your post, but I took a quick look at your BYC page and I am most impressed. You have a very interesting list of animal breeds, and I am very excited about your interest in sustainable farming ~ especially coming from a family who does not farm.

I wish you the best of luck in pursuing your dreams, and I have every confidence you will succeed!

Jen in TN (who also comes from a family of non-farmers)
~:<>

I was reading a book about chickens today and it said if there is a red spot in the egg, it could be from the chicken straining to push the egg out and to give the chicken some bread soaked in cod liver oil. Hope that helps!

I have 2 hens doing the same thing. I only have 2 hens. It's not a blood spot. It is a faint white bulls eye. It has me confused also. Someone told me that young hens can produce fertile eggs that never develop even without a rooster present. This comment came from a show chicken breeder's chat page. I'm not sure if this is true, but my 2 girls are in their first year of laying. Sorry, the pictures aren't great & include part of my quiche.

All I'm seeing in those pictures is the outer ring of what would be the germinal disk. The roosters sperm would settle in the middle, making it look like a bullseye. The ring will be present in all eggs, the small spot in the middle, the sperm, is what makes it fertile :)

I have 2 hens doing the same thing. I only have 2 hens. It's not a blood spot. It is a faint white bulls eye. It has me confused also. Someone told me that young hens can produce fertile eggs that never develop even without a rooster present. This comment came from a show chicken breeder's chat page. I'm not sure if this is true, but my 2 girls are in their first year of laying. Sorry, the pictures aren't great & include part of my quiche.
That egg on the left definitely looks fertile to me.
All I'm seeing in those pictures is the outer ring of what would be the germinal disk. The roosters sperm would settle in the middle, making it look like a bullseye. The ring will be present in all eggs, the small spot in the middle, the sperm, is what makes it fertile :)
All infertile eggs will have a white spot, the darker then lighter concentric circles indicate fertility.

If you look at post #7 in this thread you get a pretty good description of what causes the donut appearance. It’s not the sperm cell in the middle of the female’s ova. The sperm/ova merge and then start developing while they are inside the hen’s body before the egg is laid, which is the perfect incubation temperature. Once it is laid that development comes to almost a total halt. The donut appearance is the result of that development at the stage the egg is laid.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

With my eyes and monitor I can't see those well enough to be able to make a good guess.

If you look at post #7 in this thread you get a pretty good description of what causes the donut appearance. It’s not the sperm cell in the middle of the female’s ova. The sperm/ova merge and then start developing while they are inside the hen’s body before the egg is laid, which is the perfect incubation temperature. Once it is laid that development comes to almost a total halt. The donut appearance is the result of that development at the stage the egg is laid.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

With my eyes and monitor I can't see those well enough to be able to make a good guess.
AhhhHAH!... that probably answers the why for in that I've noticed that some of the 'bullseyes' are larger, smaller, more blurry or clearer.

I can't see much in these pics either....all I see are a bunch of highlights from the flash or over head lights.

Back
Top Bottom