Building a new coop, but have a few questions...

vwap

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 3, 2012
Hi all, I've been lurking for a bit while planning the coop, finally started building it and now I've got a few questions! :) I'm just outside of Seattle, WA, so the climate here is pretty mild generally (above freezing for most of the winter, under 90 for most of the summer). I'm not planning on insulating the coop.

To give an idea of what I've sketched out, it's more-or-less based on this coop/run: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/417276_369373753095985_1278354378_n.jpg

1. How does one build a "draft free" coop? Do I have to caulk/seal all the seams? Or is it a matter of "best effort" with respect to exterior boards? In other words, the boards on the outside of the pictured coop, besides making them fit together as tightly as possible, is there anything else I can do? I mean, I will be building it so that the vent opens/closes similar to the picture -- so even when closed, this is definitely not going to be air tight -- leaving the possibility for drafts, right?

2. Venting the ceiling of the coop -- given the Seattle climate, is it necessary to have a roof vent that closes? I didn't fully think through the ceiling yet, but with our climate, I was thinking that perhaps just putting hardware cloth on the entire ceiling (4x4) would suffice? Or is it advisable to ensure it closes?

3. In the picture, there's the vent that opens, and it's near the bottom of the coop. (the section below the coop is actually storage, so the floor of the coop itself is near where the hinge to the opened panel is.) Are drafts an issue in the summer/fall, or should that vent be placed elsewhere? I'm also considering putting hinges on the top 1x6 board on every side and making it an vent that opens/closes. If I left the ceiling open, would upper open/closable vents still be necessary?

4. There're a ton of opinions on roofing materials, and that's the last bit I need to figure out. We don't get a ton of snow around here, though the occasional bit, so I'm not sure that'd be a consideration? My goal was to get an overhang of about 1-2' per side, and slightly sloped. Unfortunately, given that this is a 4x8 coop, I'm not sure how I'm going to accomplish that without spending a ton and weighing just as much. With corrugated tin, I think that's seemingly my cheapest option, but I'd need 5 x 26" sheets to cover the full amount and have overhang -- and I'd need the 12' sheets. This is also so that the grooves ran toward the slope (instead of horizontally with the slope), so it can shed water (and I can potentially install a gutter). Are there any cheaper options? 5x26" sheets looks to be about $100, and could be a pain to cut. :)

5. The area I'm placing the coop isn't fully level -- will this be a problem for the chickens? It's a good couple degrees sloped, I'm not sure how best to go about leveling it if that was necessary..

6. Does the interior of the coop need to be painted, stained, sealed or anything? I suspect the chickens'll peck, and paint isn't good for'em. Right? :)

7. Coop cleanup -- I've never had chickens before -- will they make a mess of the coop area, the run area, or both (pooping)? Any good ideas for cleanup? I have yet to really research this thus far, wanted to get the coop built first...

Kind of along the same lines -- the coop/run are currently slated to be placed on gravel driveway -- I figure I'll be putting down something down on the ground, right? Or is a better location somewhere with growing foliage/dirt/grass, and forget needing to put something softer than gravel down? :)

I know this is a ton of questions, but this project and it's scope seems to grow a bit more each day!

Thank for any help!

-Andy

Last edited:
Welcome vwap!
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

Don't forget to check out this site when you are working on your roosts and such inside. This concept and the use of Sweet PDZ (granulated or powdered zeolite) will save you a lot time in poop-cleaning and will really deal with the smell in the coop.

Don't forget to post of pictures of your progress. Thanks!

If you can find a salvage yard in your area then you may get the roofing tin for around 2 dollars per foot. In my area the tin is 37 inches wide. I use a skill saw or circular saw to cut it. Wear safety glasses and a long sleeve shirt. More overhang the better but if you over hang the tin more that 10 inches you will want to add support to the overhang or it will droop and flop.

For a coop like the one you have pictured, this link is a great standard. Read carefully and I think all your questions will be answered. This guy details everything pretty well so you will be able to build what you need. Have fun! 

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/wichita-cabin-coop

:welcome

I love the lattice they used as a wind break. I may add that to my coops to help block some of the summer sun.

pic looks good. use paver stones and shims under the weight bearing posts level it out. you can get them at home depot to level out the pen. i also lined the outside of mine with 1' x 1' paver stones for protection and it looks good. put plenty of sand in the run. i use both straw and wood shavings in the run as well. i have placed a cheap tarp in the botton of the coop for ease of cleanup. i use it spread in my garden for fertilizer and compost. best advice is to make it the way you want to and be happy with what you make. you are the only one you have to satisfy. remember they are chickens and it's a chicken coop. it doesn't have to be exact. there are no chicken police.

When I was building my coop I originally planned for 8'x12'. I knew I would be using corrugated metal roofing, but was apprehensive about cutting. What I decided to do is adjust the coop width so that the sloped roof would be exactly 8' and I could use un-cut 8' panels. The width of the run ended up being about 7'6", but yours would depend on the slope you use for the roof.

I recently built my house and pen and had many of the same questions. Reading thru many posts on this site I built mine with the info I obtained. Since I am also new at this please consider all of the info given with the other posts. I have six chickens that reside in a 3' x 5' house which includes 3 nesting boxes. Attached to the house is a 6' x 10' enclosed pen. The house and pen set inside a 40' X 50' fenced area with a gate that leads out into about 1/2 acre behind my home. At night the chickens are locked in the house. During the day they get access to the enclosed pen when no one is home. And when we are home they currently free range in the 1/2 acre but will probably only get the 40'X 50' area next spring.

Answers...
1. Draft free? From what I understood your house needs plenty ventilation. So sealing everything completely up is not necessary.
2. Roof vent closed? No for the same reason above.
3. Vent at lower level? I didn't put one in my house but assume that any drafts from the windows and door would be sufficient. If not I plan on leaving a window ajar so it will provide enough air for circulation, even in winter.
4. Roof material? I was in the same boat. I could have used a corrugated roof just as you planned but went with asphalt shingles. I think this was a mistake because it made the house tremendously heavy. As someone else posted maybe modify your plan to slope to the side instead of the back. This way full sheets can be laid and/ or reduce the amount you cut.
5. Level? If it is off a little shouldn't be a problem. I don't think the chickens would mind at all. I would be more concerned with the structure having problems down the road. As another reply stated use concrete block to shim up to level.
6. Inside paint? I didn't research this much but had the same concerns. I did not paint the inside. I visited multiple sites where the sell coop kits and when they had pictures of the inside available all were not painted.
7. Coop cleanup? Inside the house I use pine shavings. Depending How many chickens you have and how much time they spend in there will determine how much you will need to clean. No need to clean the pen since it is all dirt now but used to be grass. I plan on moving the house and pen so they will get fresh grass from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom