Building A Churkey(Turkey Imposter)

Do you like the idea? Do you like Turkey, or Love Turkey?

• Total voters
just be aware that disease resistance may come with other, undesired, traits. i happwn to have some genetic resistance to malaria. important to my ancestors in the mediterranean. but thallasemia minor affects me all the time, though the likelihood of my malaria exposure here in NW FL are much reduced...

the genetic lottery come with few characteristics which are uniformly positive.

just be aware that disease resistance may come with other, undesired, traits. i happwn to have some genetic resistance to malaria. important to my ancestors in the mediterranean. but thallasemia minor affects me all the time, though the likelihood of my malaria exposure here in NW FL are much reduced...

the genetic lottery come with few characteristics which are uniformly positive.
Wow very interesting

I know Jersey Giants were created with the intent of being turkey replacements (which sadly didn't pan out because they mature much more slowly than a meat turkey). Have you thought about using them?

I know Jersey Giants were created with the intent of being turkey replacements (which sadly didn't pan out because they mature much more slowly than a meat turkey). Have you thought about using them?
I know about the JGs, & they were partly was my inspiration, besides my mom's dislike of turkey.

No, I'm trying to avoid as much slow growth, as possible.

This project is on pause for now, but willing to answer questions.

I know about the JGs, & they were partly was my inspiration, besides my mom's dislike of turkey.

No, I'm trying to avoid as much slow growth, as possible.

This project is on pause for now, but willing to answer questions.
Unfortunately you're going to run into that a lot with some of the massive breeds like JG and Brahmas. Have you thought about the "Delaware Broiler" from Murray Hatchery? Apparently they're Delaware chickens selectively bred for massive body size and decently quick maturation as a heritage alternative to Cornish crosses. Could also consider Australorps, Plymouth rocks, new Hampshire, RIR, Orpington, Dorking, chantecler, or Buckeye. Or look to the breeds that were used to make the JG (black javas, black langshans, and dark brahmas). If you're looking for quality of meat I've heard bresse, minorca, marans, game fowl, Egyptian fayomi and faverolles are pretty tasty.

Unfortunately you're going to run into that a lot with some of the massive breeds like JG and Brahmas. Have you thought about the "Delaware Broiler" from Murray Hatchery? Apparently they're Delaware chickens selectively bred for massive body size and decently quick maturation as a heritage alternative to Cornish crosses. Could also consider Australorps, Plymouth rocks, new Hampshire, RIR, Orpington, Dorking, chantecler, or Buckeye. Or look to the breeds that were used to make the JG (black javas, black langshans, and dark brahmas). If you're looking for quality of meat I've heard bresse, minorca, marans, game fowl, Egyptian fayomi and faverolles are pretty tasty.
I'm gonna be using Malay, Turkens, & Cornish Games for this project.

My Malays grew up at a pretty average rate just like every other breed I have raised. Became very heavy, & meaty at an early age.

I do have Heritage Barred Plymouth Rocks I may add, since they're very large, & I love the Barred pattern.

I wanted to keep this project as simple as possible with only 3 breeds, instead of like 5, or 6.

I'm gonna be using Malay, Turkens, & Cornish Games for this project.

Cornish Games?

Do you mean female Cornish Cross? (That's what McMurray sells for "Cornish Game Hens.")

Or do you mean Dark Cornish or some other color of Cornish that is a purebred, not the big white hybrids? Dark Cornish are sometimes called "Indian Games."

Back
Top Bottom