Broody hen with impacted crop!

Egg_cited

Songster
May 4, 2022
My chicken coop🐓
I have a one year old maran that's is broody with a big impacted Crop probably at least half of her crop. In the past I have always succeeded in treating even with the most biggest impacted crops.

Here's what I usually do!
I give a good amount of papaya every single! Then massage the crop going in a upwards motion. I usually see at least some type of improvement the following day.

I'm trying to break the broody hen but she is a stubborn one! Adding to that she isn't eating or drinking a lot since she is broody.

I'll be doing daily updates on how she is doing!

I think you should think about switching what you feed if you are having to deal with multiple birds getting impacted crops.

What exactly do you feed?

I have a one year old maran that's is broody with a big impacted Crop probably at least half of her crop. In the past I have always succeeded in treating even with the most biggest impacted crops.

I give a good amount of papaya every single! Then massage the crop going in a upwards motion. I usually see at least some type of improvement the following day.

I'm trying to break the broody hen but she is a stubborn one! Adding to that she isn't eating or drinking a lot since she is broody.

Hopefully you can break her, get the crop moving and her back to normal.
If you find the papaya doesn't work for treating the crop, then I recommend you follow the treatments in the article below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Update!
Today her crop is probably half the size it was and is no longer hard just squishy. It's usually like this for a couples after the treatment before it goes back to normal. It's crazy how magically that papaya works and I'll always stick to this method. 2 days and that crop is already so much better! I've tried other methods in the past such as coconut oil and it never treats it the same.

Update!
Today her crop is probably half the size it was and is no longer hard just squishy. It's usually like this for a couples after the treatment before it goes back to normal. It's crazy how magically that papaya works and I'll always stick to this method. 2 days and that crop is already so much better! I've tried other methods in the past such as coconut oil and it never treats it the same.
I'm glad to hear she's improving!

Do you just feed her papaya fruit?

Hello. When I have a hen with an impacted crop, I first separate it from all other hens , then if it will still eat anything, I give it chunks of organic coconut oil and massage it around to work the oil all through the crop. If then hen won’t eat the coconut oil chunks, I use a dropper and use about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and do the same thing. Do not feed the hen anything else and nothing all night, just have water available. In the morning the impact is gone and sometimes sooner depending on the time of day you gave her the oils. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom