Broody hen isn't eating or drinking

AmberLittlejohn

Songster
Mar 4, 2019
Upstate South Carolina
Hello! I have a diehard hen sitting on eggs and boy is she grumpy. In the past she has gotten off to eat or drink once a day but she's not budging. I gave her some blueberries yesterday but I'm concerned about her dehydrating. Do I put a hamster water bottle in her nesting box or what?
16486762320321065801093265760912.jpg

Your hen is simply waiting for you to leave to exit the nest. You should not feed or water her at the nest. She will get off to do what needs to be done. She will not starve or dehydrate. Providing for her needs while on the nest will result in her defecating in the nest and possibly ruining the eggs. Leaving the nest also gives her the opportunity to exercise which is very important for brooding birds.

Many people worry that their brooding birds are not taking breaks. She is; likely 2/3 times a day while no one is around to see.

Can you feel her crop before bed? Its likely that she is getting up without you noticing siren broody's only get up once a day. If her crop is large/full feeling, your all good. If it is flat than that proves she isn't eating or drinking, and action will be required.
This photo shows where the crop is.
1648697194444.png

Back
Top Bottom