Broody got fosters, ditched eggs?

schambo

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Atlantic Canada
IMG_0951.jpeg

Marshmallow the silkie was happily brooding her first clutch of eggs, and I thought they were due to hatch yesterday (Friday). On Thursday, I got some day-old ducklings, so I popped them under her and she took them happily, but they’re pretty busy and she seems to have mostly forgotten about her eggs.
IMG_0958.jpeg
I must have put the dates wrong, because they aren’t even pipping yet. I candled them today (Saturday) and they still seem alive in there! I put them in this little incubator I borrowed from a neighbour.
IMG_0971.jpeg
What’s my best plan going forward. Ideally, she’ll take the chicks back when they hatch. I left a few fakes in her nest. She’s still sleeping in her nest with the ducklings, would you put the eggs under her at night when she’s not likely to get off them, then incubate them during the day when she’s more apt to wander? Would you just try to transfer the hatchlings in and hope for the best? If I took away the ducks, do you think she’d go back to the nest?

Being a silkie you never know. Most hens will not take chicks beyond those they hatched. Once they switch from setting to brooding they usually won't go back.

I personally would remove the ducks. If your plans are to house the ducks with chickens you do not want them imprinting on the chickens as they will try to mate and fight with them when they mature, especially the drakes.

I'd remove the ducklings and hopefully she goes back to her eggs. You may still be able to give them back to her as silkies can be a bit different than other breeds and prone to taking and raising everything.

Being a silkie you never know. Most hens will not take chicks beyond those they hatched. Once they switch from setting to brooding they usually won't go back.

I personally would remove the ducks. If your plans are to house the ducks with chickens you do not want them imprinting on the chickens as they will try to mate and fight with them when they mature, especially the drakes.

I'd remove the ducklings and hopefully she goes back to her eggs. You may still be able to give them back to her as silkies can be a bit different than other breeds and prone to taking and raising everything.
Okay, I moved the ducks inside, and she seems to be sitting on the fake eggs okay, but we will see what tomorrow brings.

Back
Top Bottom