Broody goose only day 11 and already looks so thin!

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
pilgrim goose trudy is brooding 4 eggs and she comes out to drink water and swim but barely eats anything, I have put out extra bowls of food and there is plenty of lovely spring grass but she just hurridly takes a nibble and runs back to nest. I am concerned she already looks a lot thinner what should I do? (today is 11th day)

Not sure what to suggest, but I have never had a broody fowl of any sort starve itself to death. :idunno
ok well that’s good to know. I have placed a couple extra bowls of food around and she has access to clean water, kiddie pool, and two other buckets of clean water and plenty of lovely spring grass. I just expected that when gets off the nest for a breaki thought She would eat like crazy before she gets back on and I only see her grab a few bites.

pilgrim goose trudy is brooding 4 eggs and she comes out to drink water and swim but barely eats anything, I have put out extra bowls of food and there is plenty of lovely spring grass but she just hurridly takes a nibble and runs back to nest. I am concerned she already looks a lot thinner what should I do? (today is 11th day)
A pan of water by here nest with whole wheat or a little cracked corn in the bottom can help. first stages of brooding are all crazy hormonal. They have a scheduled to keep. And yes no matter what you do they will loose weight. Totally normal.

When mine were brooding they would get up and go take breaks to eat and drink. I've seen them nibble around while nesting too, so you might put some stuff she likes around her nest that she can reach while sitting.

A pan of water by here nest with whole wheat or a little cracked corn in the bottom can help. first stages of brooding are all crazy hormonal. They have a scheduled to keep. And yes no matter what you do they will loose weight. Totally normal.
I set down a big bowl of water with scratch in it and she loved it , the first time I saw her take more than 2 bites before going back to nest, thanks

When mine were brooding they would get up and go take breaks to eat and drink. I've seen them nibble around while nesting too, so you might put some stuff she likes around her nest that she can reach while sitting.
the place she made her nest is closed in on 3 sides and she built up the bedding really high too , her only way to step out is where I would have to put a bowl and Im afraid she'd knock it over
broody trudy.jpg

I once had a goose die while brooding. Not sure if she starved or did not get enough water. But from that point on, if I have a broody goose not properly caring for herself when broody, I will either bust up the nest or bring food and water to her nest.

Back
Top Bottom