Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
@aart

1692358516043.png

What is the white plastic piece on your feeder (I tried to buy hanging fixtures for feed/water for chickens, could not find)?

Questions:
1. Is the "no straw" regime designed to make things uncomfortable?

What is the white plastic piece on your feeder
It's a bottle waterer from Strombergs that I used a dremel grinder to make the opening in the trough larger so crumble would get thru. Works really good!
(was a terrible waterer)
Is the "no straw" regime designed to make things uncomfortable?
Instead of them hunkering down and keeping the belly warm it allow air flow underneath.
I have one that will 'brood' the 2x4, so I remove it.

@aart So Strombergs wants either $42 or $70 to ship it across the border.

I am looking for alternatives on Amazon Canada. Do you think the "terrible waterer" is inherent in the design (many similar) or specific to Stromberg?

Do you think the "terrible waterer" is inherent in the design (many similar) or specific to Stromberg?
Not sure, probably as it's the leveling that's the problem....but it's fine for crumble feed.
I take it you don't use HN's for watering?

@aart So Strombergs wants either $42 or $70 to ship it across the border.

I am looking for alternatives on Amazon Canada. Do you think the "terrible waterer" is inherent in the design (many similar) or specific to Stromberg?
Soda Pop Waterer Water Bottle Fountain Cup Poultry Chickens Quail Bird (1) https://a.co/d/3XaujCD

No. I use open around outside of waterers (heated in winter) elevated using vertical log sections inside the coop.
Might want to think about switching to HN's.
Much easier to deal with in winter and have other advantages, like crate waterers.

Back
Top Bottom