Brooder Heating Plate vs Infrared Bulb

I've also used the bulbs, MHP, and heat plates. I, like many others, started with the bulb because that is what many resources say to use and it's what all the feed stores have on their shelves. I still have my bulb but I would only use it if I were forced to. I then made a MHP and liked it. Then I needed another heating element because I was running two batches and one was big so I decided to get the 16x24 Premier plate. Eventually also got a 12x12.

Of them all, I prefer the the heating plates. I like being able to adjust the height. I've even used them on quail chicks with the very lowest setting and it worked great. I have no doubt it would work for bantams.

Well I have bantams and standards in the incubator. I'm going to separate them after they hatch and make a MHP for the batams anyway. I'm worried that even at the lowest height they won't get enough heat from the brooding plate. Since I'm going to make one anyway I figure it won't be much trouble to make two so I can compare and see which the standard size chicks prefer.
All of my chicks I have right now are Bantams. I have 3 D'uccle chicks, 2 D'uccle Cochin mix chicks, and 4 polish chicks, one of my polish chicks is a runt. The heat plate seems to work great for them. The polish are about a week older than my others. I keep one side of the heat plate lower than the other.

When you're brooding chicks do you prefer the heating plate or a lamp with an infrared bulb? Can you tell me why? We used the lamp with the infrared bulb for the last, but the next round I'm going have about 26 chicks instead of 8.
I started out with infrared bulbs, but the setup takes up too much space. I graduated to a brinsea ecoglow 20, but it was difficult to raise and lower, and the leg adjustment tabs broke. I jerry rigged it with bungie cords for a while, but that got silly. I upgraded to a heating plate from Premier1. I got the cover as well and think it is worth it. The plate provides a large area of heat, the chicks scoot under easily, the height is easy to adjust and you can have one side higher than the other, the cover stops them from jumping on top of the heating plate and pooping all over it! I have used it in my outdoor brooders through October!

I have also used the MamaHeatingPad set up, but if I have more than a handful of chicks, it is easier to use the heating plate. Easier to clean as well.

Hope that your adventure goes well, and that you become as addicted as the rest of us!:wee:frow

I love my Premier 1!
I’ll never go back to a lamp.
My chicks are so much quieter and I’m looking forward to seeing how they are when I put them in a grow out coop since they aren’t afraid of the dark.
They’re feathering out so fast I’ve already raised the height of the plate, although I do keep one side lower.
I highly recommend it!

Well I have bantams and standards in the incubator. I'm going to separate them after they hatch and make a MHP for the batams anyway. I'm worried that even at the lowest height they won't get enough heat from the brooding plate. Since I'm going to make one anyway I figure it won't be much trouble to make two so I can compare and see which the standard size chicks prefer.
I used my plate for my silkie bantams. They did great.

I thought I posted in here but I guess not! I use the Premier 1 plate, too (the 12x12). This was big enough for 22 bantams or 18 standard chicks! I will never ever go back to heat lamps! Why? Let the peeps tell you, or...not tell you! QUIET CHICKS=HAPPY CHICKS! :jumpy
Chicks feel safe and secure because they can cuddle under something
Chicks are less stressed and will suffer a much lower incidence of stress-related issues like sleep-deprivation and pasty butt
Chicks follow a natural circadian rhythm (day/night cycle)
Much more energy-efficient
No fire risk (with Premier plates, anyway)
Easily adjustable as they grow
Different size chicks can be covered by making a grade in the plate angle (Raise two legs on one side higher than the other).
Chicks 'harden out' quicker than with heat lamps. Some people even start babies outside in the cold with the right heat plates! I love most Brinsea products but their brooder plate is inferior to Premier IMHO.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom