Broken turkey tail feathers

I see this post is older, but I am having the same issues! I have 3 male toms, they are 9 months old. I think what is causing this though, is that when they go in and out of their coop at night, their tail feathers rub against or go in between the chicken wire we have on the door to the coop, and they are breaking in half that way. The door is a little narrow for them, we underestimated how big they would get when fully grown! So it is just a matter of us replacing their coop door with a wider one.

I see this post is older, but I am having the same issues! I have 3 male toms, they are 9 months old. I think what is causing this though, is that when they go in and out of their coop at night, their tail feathers rub against or go in between the chicken wire we have on the door to the coop, and they are breaking in half that way. The door is a little narrow for them, we underestimated how big they would get when fully grown! So it is just a matter of us replacing their coop door with a wider one.
Mine pass through a similar door and their tail feathers are not getting broken. Their tail feathers do get worn and broken during spats. Yours are at the age that they should be have pecking order disagreements.

I don't recommend husing poultry wire around turkeys. I have seen tom turkeys nearly cut their snoods off on poultry wire.

Back
Top Bottom