Broken tail feathers in my turkeys

swtjess

Hatching
Apr 1, 2015
I have 8 month old turkeys, 7 of them, however all of them have damaged tail feathers, is there some sickness that causes this or could it be that they are being attacked.

They are sharing an area with 2 silkies and 2 guinea fowls, however the guinea fowls are a new addition, the damage was evident before I introduced the guinea fowls. So what should I watch out for? diseases or silkie attacks? and do turkeys like sharing space? because I'm seeing an odd behaviour recently but haven't witnessed any attacks.
hu.gif

Ps. will my bronze turkeys breed naturally ? was told they are artificially insaminated, but I dont think mine are incapable of breeding... and at what age will they start breeding/laying.

(i'm new with turkeys
th.gif
)

THANKS !!!!

Last edited:
You're turkeys can breed naturally if they are heritage bronze not broad breasted which you would have to AI because they grow too heavy to breed on their own. How were the tails broken? I found those all the time with my turkey's last year and I think it was from the other turkeys just picking at the other ones tail to cause it to fall and bleed.

Welcome to BYC btw

in that case I will demand some little turkeys from them !!! I haven't seen any bleeding no, and i do not believe that there will be from the looks of it. no injuries or such, the feathers are mainly broken towards the tip... perhaps 5-10cm down fromt he tip of them... i am not worried about their health, they seem perfectly fine. But it bothers me a little to see that out of a whole tail, 4 of them or so will be broken off and makes them look scruffy other than the beautiful puffed up balls of fluffy feathers !

My only concern about this was as to whther it can be some sort of mites that is causing their tail feathers to break off. But i would believe it is simply them picking on each other.... I have too many males fighting over 1 female I think
th.gif

THANKS!

Last edited:
Also if it's only on the tip of the feather it could be mice chewing at the feather if that's a problem you might have on your farm. You could also check for mites as an extra percaution.

yesterday, I was trying to hold my 6-month-old turkey, but my mistakenly hold by the tail and all tail feathers has come out ..what to do now ....

Back
Top Bottom