bringing chickens in the house at night

magsrags

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Staten Island NY
I see some folks bring their chickens into the house at night once they settle into a dog crate etc. at dusk. I'd like to hear how this works out for you.

We bring one in overnight occasionally. Usually one of the older girls. I have 2 hens that are over 6 years old now
smile.png

I've brought 1 in on a frigid night that wouldn't go into the coop with new birds. Flew right up onto my Gazebo untill I coaxed her down. Hubby didn't care for the idea either but it seemed necessary at the time.LOL

I try not to have it a norm. LOL

Some silkie chicks get to stay in for the first week or two, but the rest are all out by then.

One year, the entire flock was decimated, well, the lone chick silkie was now really just a lone bird and would come to the front door nightly. He'd cry, jump on the door, make terrible dying noises till we let him in. He'd sleep on a crib like thing and poo into a basket. In the morning he'd walk around inside the crib or just wait on the edge till we tossed him out for the day. Once his baby girls grew up (standard sexlink types) he slowly realized he wanted more time with them and one night just stopped coming to the front door and slept out with the girls. His last day was when he bravely gave his life to a coon so all his girls survived... ok, he was a klutz, he was probably oblivious of what was happening and was such an easy meal the coon got him and left with the bony dinner.

He sounds like mine! She comes up onto my deck to the back door before dusk banging on it and pacing back & forth to let her in.Really gets panicky not wanting to spend time with the others in the coop. They all put themselves to bed no problem.
Poor white crested polish that she is, alone in a silly silkie world.LOL

The garage is as close as they can get w/out unhappy family members. Only if a hen w/chicks. Except 1 chick at birth had a prob & my grandson kept it close & an eye on it w/me till we got the stuck egg shell off & made sure it got heat, water & chick feed. It had bled a little & looked weak when I found it. It went back w/the hen later & turned into a real pretty rambunctious roo.

roll.png

Back
Top Bottom