Bresse x Plymouth Barred Rock?

dawsh2

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2022
Hi all,

I'm wanting to reogranize my flock and start a focused breeding program. I'm in love with description of Bresse as an outstanding meat bird and reliable layer while being efficient in terms of feed conversion. Another top contending breed was the Bielefelder (bigger carcass, bigger eggs, auto-sexed), but it apparently lays less and isnt as fast/lower food conversion rate. And its just too hard for me to pass up the uniqueness of the Bresse marbling (assuming this is true).

So I really enjoy doing genetic work in general and in doing some research found the plymouth barred rock is often used to introduce auto-sexing into lines and its a bigger bird which lays a bigger egg, while sharing a similar body shape. So the end goal is a bird that sustains all the positive traits of the Bresse (marbled meat, feed conversion efficiency, easy defeathering by hand, light bones, winter laying) while adopting the positive traits of the Plymouth Barred Rock (larger eggs, larger carcass, auto-sexing).

Is this a good plan? Is there a better chicken than the Plymouth Barred Rock for my goals? Do you think this could result in a good, stable cross with the traits I want? I'm eager to order them and get started but know I should wait for some feedback first..

Side note: I also thought a Bresse x Black Copper Maran cross would be cool, for a chicken with the best eggs and meat, but it seems BCM's don't lay quite enough or consistently for me.

Last edited:
I’m not positive but I think the only way to achieve the bresse marbling is by “finishing them the French way” which involves an odd diet. I can’t quite remember. I know they’re an excellent meat birds either way (they’d be my top choice) but I don’t think they come by that marbling naturally. Maybe someone knows more.

I’m not positive but I think the only way to achieve the bresse marbling is by “finishing them the French way” which involves an odd diet. I can’t quite remember. I know they’re an excellent meat birds either way (they’d be my top choice) but I don’t think they come by that marbling naturally. Maybe someone knows more.
Would you mind sharing your experience with Bresse and other popular dual breeds, and why they're a top choice for you? How did they perform as layers?

I've been having trouble confirming the facts regarding the marbling too. I understand the incredible taste is largely due to the way the they're fed and treated prior to slaughter, but I was under the impression the way they store their fat is unique to Bresse, and that you wouldnt get the same results with another chicken. But I have no clue!

Overall, do you think Bresse x PBR would be a good cross, and that it might be feasible to accomplish a Bresse with auto-sexing, larger eggs, and a slightly larger carcass? I confess I have ambitions of leasing some land next spring as a small pilot project and hope to sell some chicks, eggs and meat so getting the best breeds and experience with them will be very important.

Last edited:
I would suggest just getting the bielefelder. It's already autosexing, has a large meaty carcas, and lays lots of eggs. You also have the benefit of being able to sell pure breed sexed pullets.

Well I was kinda hoping for a fun breeding project too, something to work on with them. I'd just grab them all, except I only have room for 24 chickens at absolute max. So if the cross sounds viable, I'd really prefer to work on that in conjunction with managing their pure lines.

I've never bred chickens or any animals for that matter before though, only plants/fungi, so I'm not sure if my goals are feasible or not, or if the Bresse is even unique in its marbling ability.

Last edited:
Plymouth Rocks would not introduce autosexing. This only worked on duckwing based barred birds, (crele) not white ones. It would also probably ruin the marbling.
All Bresse have more tender, fatty meat, it is a breed trait. While finishing may enhance this, I’ve heard of people comparing it to other birds and raising them in free range conditions and it’s true that they have marbling regardless.

Would you mind sharing your experience with Bresse and other popular dual breeds, and why they're a top choice for you? How did they perform as layers?

I've been having trouble confirming the facts regarding the marbling too. I understand the incredible taste is largely due to the way the they're fed and treated prior to slaughter, but I was under the impression the way they store their fat is unique to Bresse, and that you wouldnt get the same results with another chicken. But I have no clue!

Overall, do you think Bresse x PBR would be a good cross, and that it might be feasible to accomplish a Bresse with auto-sexing, larger eggs, and a slightly larger carcass? I confess I have ambitions of leasing some land next spring as a small pilot project and hope to sell some chicks, eggs and meat so getting the best breeds and experience with them will be very important.
I don’t have experience with either breed. The breeds I have been working with are largely ornamental. But if I decided to (and I’ve been thinking about it) I would go with bresse. I actually want to try finishing some the French way and some normal to compare but right now that’s still in the idea phase.

I just got a rare breed assortment hatching eggs from greenfire which included crevecour and pita pintas so I figure I’ll add them to my free range layer flock and see what that produces. My breeding flocks are kept safe but the layer flock consists of random hens from friends and such (orps, marans, retired hens, hens no longer needed for my breed projects).

I’d say start small and experiment. Also maybe try starting with some Cornish x to practice butchering. Took me a minute to get the hang of it. Look on eBay for an assortment of hatching eggs of different breeds “hens choice”. Greenfire also sells a “table bird assortment” which may give you bresse and/or some more meat breeds.

Plymouth Rocks would not introduce autosexing. This only worked on duckwing based barred birds, (crele) not white ones. It would also probably ruin the marbling.
All Bresse have more tender, fatty meat, it is a breed trait. While finishing may enhance this, I’ve heard of people comparing it to other birds and raising them in free range conditions and it’s true that they have marbling regardless.
Are there color variants of the Bresse that may work? I see some vendors offering black, blue and/or splash. And yes, it would take a long time to get an auto-sex and good marbling both being present, if it were to happen at all, but I'd like to give it the ol' college try if it's feasible. Is there any other breed or strategy that may have a shot at producing this in whatever color of Bresse? Bielefelder, maybe?

And in your opinion or experience, are the meat characteristics found in Bresse unique to it?

Obviously in a bit over my head here but glad I didnt pull the trigger yet. Thanks for the info. I'd definately prefer marbling over auto-sexing, for what it's worth. But ideally I find myself a viable project that may accomplish both if I'm persistent and lucky, but I don't know how this works yet either.

Last edited:
Are there color variants of the Bresse that may work? I see some vendors offering black, blue and/or splash. And yes, it would take a long time to get an auto-sex and good marbling both being present, if it were to happen at all, but I'd like to give it the ol' college try if it's feasible. Is there any other breed or strategy that may have a shot at producing this in Bresse?

And in your opinion or experience, are the meat characteristics found in Bresse unique to it?

Obviously in a bit over my head here but glad I didnt pull the trigger yet. Thanks for the info. I'd definately prefer marbling over auto-sexing, for what it's worth. But ideally I find myself a viable project that may accomplish both if I'm persistent and lucky, but I don't know how this works yet either.
Blue, black, and splash are extended black based, not duckwing based. No autosexing abilities. You’d just get barred birds like Plymouth Rocks.
Bresse’s characteristics are unique. I’ve also heard Crevocouer’s have finer fleshing, but so few are raised and consumed that I don’t know if this is the true experience.

Back
Top Bottom