Bresse Chickens

Pics
I did not finish mine in the French way . but I did cook it in a traditional French salt crust and eat it. It was noticibly different in texture and very succulant. My birds free range on about 1/2 acre eat a lot of grass and eat organic crumble. The flavor was not terribly differnt from my marans but the texture and tenderness was outstanding and he was bigger much faster.

I didn't weigh him but the 2 of us ate it over 2 nights

I did not finish mine in the French way . but I did cook it in a traditional French salt crust and eat it. It was noticibly different in texture and very succulant. My birds free range on about 1/2 acre eat a lot of grass and eat organic crumble. The flavor was not terribly differnt from my marans but the texture and tenderness was outstanding and he was bigger much faster.

I didn't weigh him but the 2 of us ate it over 2 nights

Excellent feedback!!!! Thank you so much.

As my ABs are now about 3 weeks old, I anxiously await any info either of you may end up with on this subject. I have noticed a lot of posts about people saying they were getting ready to try their birds, but have yet to find a follow up post from anyone who actually has. People seem to get this far, and then drop out of sight.

Either they went to chicken heaven because it taste so good; or they were so disappointed they can't admit they dropped $100 a pop on blue legs.

This thread is now several years old. Can anyone who has had the birds for a while now share their opinions on raising them and what they have determined as far as taste of the birds?

Racinchickins, I have processed and enjoyed several Bresse. I fininsh mine in the with milk and grains. The dressed birds weigh in between 4.5-6 lbs.
I have cooked the birds in several different styles and each was delicious. The meat is tasty and succulent, the skin is a lttle thick so I like it either very crispy or removed.
There is a texture/firmness to the meat, especially the legs, but these are after all a pastured bird, not a 8 week cornish cross.
I have not purchased a chicken from the store in years, the Bresse is far superior...

When people say they finish with milk and grain, is this liquid milk mixed with grain, grain separate and milk in a bowl, calf manna and grain, or what? What kind of grain?

I have my first Bresse and want to raise them right. :)

Milk soaked grains. I don't know what set of grains.

I also found them really easy to pluck. I often skin if in doing more then 2 birds but did not need to with breese.

Jon Grice gifted me with some processed chickens, I found them to be similar to duck meat. The skin is very thin but tough. The bones are very hard and mostly hollow. I think they are pretty yummy, the leftovers made a really good soup.

When people say they finish with milk and grain, is this liquid milk mixed with grain, grain separate and milk in a bowl, calf manna and grain, or what? What kind of grain?

I have my first Bresse and want to raise them right.
smile.png
I used Kamut.

I have my first Bresse and want to raise them right.
smile.png

Tim,
We use an organic grower crumble and then and organic finisher to compliment the pasture. We typically mix the milk straight into the feed to create a moist cereal effect. I would say that it is not "wet" but it is moist throughout. If you squeezed it in your hand you would not have milk dripping out, but it would likely hold its shape and maybe crack down the middle. It just occurred to me that its about the consistency of properly watered potting soil. You can read about our experienced on our website at: www.sunbirdfarms.com and just search for "American Bresse Adventures." We will be updating shortly. Our last chronicle ended with our dogs enjoying the birds about a week before processing.
barnie.gif
We are now about 3-4 weeks away again and will update with any changes we've made this time through.
Best,
Brice @ SBF

Back
Top Bottom