Breeds with long careers

EddieSalita

Songster
Mar 10, 2023
Qld, Australia
Not quite sure how to title this. I'm after experiences people have had with heritage breeds that reliably lay for more years. Productivity isn't particularly important.
I'm sure many chicken lovers with no desire to eat their chickens and who have decent sized free range areas would like to know what might be a good choice.

The ideal woukd be a good foragers, who lays at least some eggs for most of the year. But who lays them for at least half or more of their lifetime. Then they retire with grace within the flock, helping any younger generations uo and coming to learn the ropes.

Idea being that such a bird may cost less to feed, have a less stressed metabolism, and just generally be a happy chicken.

List your breeds and experiences please.

Thanks for reading.

Phoenix, especially if you want them to grow the flock on their own. I have a rooster who is nearing 10 and last I saw was still fertile. I have several hens that are 3+ and still laying decently based on the nests I've found when they go broody

My oldest birds are only two years old, so I can't really say. But at this point none of them are slacking off. I'm keeping pretty close track because laying longevity is one of my goals.

As the project advances I'll eventually start letting birds sit only on eggs of hens who are still productive at an older age. Preferably their own eggs.

My oldest birds are only two years old, so I can't really say. But at this point none of them are slacking off. I'm keeping pretty close track because laying longevity is one of my goals.

As the project advances I'll eventually start letting birds sit only on eggs of hens who are still productive at an older age. Preferably their own eggs.
Current birds are Black Australorp, Bielefelder, and Jersey Giant.

Back
Top Bottom