Breaking broody Buff Orpington need advice

icy_flames

Songster
Jan 9, 2021
CO
Hi everyone,

I got my first broody chicken. Henri my Buff Orpington. I've read and watched more than I can count on breaking hens but need some input.

Just a heads up I live in the city ;)We don't have a rooster and I cannot give her fertile eggs or chicks.

Couple weeks ago she started doing the whole song and dance; fluffing up in nest box, the " cluck cluck cluck" noises, SUPER crabby to my other hens. She is a sweetheart when I pick her up. Never bites or struggles. I tell her all the time Mom is just trying to help her. :love

I did try the "keep removing her from the nest and put far away as possible from the coop" She would sit for 5 minutes in the spot I left her, maybe eat or drink a little but immediately go back to box. Would also sleep in the box even after physically placing her on the roost at night.

I also tried the giving her cold baths. This was in addition to her being in a broody jail. I stopped the cold baths after doing it twice. It was just stressing her out too much.

She's been in broody jail since this past Sunday. I dont have exact measurements but its a 30' long dog crate elevated off the ground with hardwire cloth on the bottom. Food + water and she gets treats with the flock (still in the crate I hand feed her).

I've let her out in the evenings so she can stretch and mingle with the flock but goes back into the crate at night.

This morning I let her out and she was acting totally normal. No puffing or cluck clucking BUT she did go into the coop and pretty much kicked my Australorp out as she started prepping to lay. I did not give Henri a chance to do what's next as I immediately removed her and back to the crate.

Am I doing everything right so far? I've heard Buffs are very difficult to break. I hope she comes out of it soon. I see some improvement, definitely eating and drinking way more than she was sitting, more active, but I don't want to get my hopes up yet.

Thanks!

You're doing a great job, and everything that can be done you are doing just right. I would skip the cold baths in the future and just stick with the crate. Let her out in another couple of days and see if she goes back to the nest. If she does, back to the crate. It can be a slow process but it's better than her setting for weeks on end for no reason, and not laying the whole time.

You're doing a great job, and everything that can be done you are doing just right. I would skip the cold baths in the future and just stick with the crate. Let her out in another couple of days and see if she goes back to the nest. If she does, back to the crate. It can be a slow process but it's better than her setting for weeks on end for no reason, and not laying the whole time.
Thank you! How long is too long to try and break a hen using a broody jail? It's been 100 degrees here last few days. I believe the heat is not helping much.

My run is shaded and they have multiple water sources but I just feel bad keeping her in the crate longer than a week. I will if anyone thinks I need to. I know this is better overall for her health.

She's cooler in the crate than she would be on the nest, so there is that. As long as she is in shade with plenty of water and food she should be alright. She sure is stubborn if it's taking that long! But I think it is better to persist with her rather than giving up. She's not doing herself or you any good by setting with no prospect of chicks. And who knows how long she might sit there waiting.

The cold bath does not have to be a TOTAL bath. You only need to cool her underside. Her breast and belly area, thighs, and under her wings, which you accomplish by splashing. It also does not have to be shockingly ice cold, just cool. My hens loved it. I'd take them off the nest, put them in the cool water, and they would relax in my hands. After a few minutes I'd put them in the broody-breaker cage and leave them. I'd bathe them like this once in the morning and once in the afternoon daily for about three days.

I have to tell you, though, that they only stayed "broke" a few days to a couple of weeks, then I'd have to repeat. They ultimately made wonderful soup. This made me sad because they were such sweet and beautiful girls. Good luck with yours.

It's been 100 degrees here last few days. I believe the heat is not helping much.
For sure!
Wetting her undercarriage in cool water before putting her in the crate is a good idea.
Definitely keep the crate in the shade and you might stick a frozen bottle of water in there too. Some folks add a fan blowing under the crate.
When I broke a broody during a heat wave I had to move the crate around the yard to the shadiest spot a coupe times a day, I think the change of scenery helped break her.

My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire(1x2) on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

After 48 hours I let her out of crate very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate for another 48 hours.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor after pic was taken, gives the feet a break from the wire floor and encourages roosting.
1623927495907.png

Hi!

Just wanted to give a quick update. Henri is not broody anymore 😄 5 days in the broody jail. It absolutely works! I took her out on day 3 as a test and had to keep her in. She needed more time. I'm glad I did. Don't give up!

I highly recommend keeping the hen near her flock during the process. It will help with pecking order. Henri was picked on a few times in the days after but not too bad. If she was completely separated I think it would have been tougher to find her place back in the group.

Back
Top Bottom