Brahma Rooster

randylyons

Chirping
Oct 6, 2020
I keep reading threads about aggressive roosters, and I just thought I'd share my experience with them.

We've had chickens for about 15 years now, and I have had somewhere around five or six different roosters. They all were protective of the hens, so I never had any complaints with their job performance, but all of them except my current rooster were demons. As many have posted, we had to carry sticks any time we went into the chicken yard, and one by one, they were "disposed" of. Some were eaten, some were buried.

However, my current rooster is a dream! He is the friendliest rooster I've ever seen, but still VERY protective of the hens. I've never petted him, but I think he might let me if I wanted to. When I go into the coop to collect eggs, he will walk right up to me, and from just a couple feet away, cock his head and look at me as to say, "Whasup?". I don't know if he is just rare or if all Brahma's are like him, but I definitely recommend this breed if you're having aggression problems with your rooster. I will warn you, however, he is a BIG boy and has a BIG appetite. :D

Brahma Rooster.jpg

I keep reading threads about aggressive roosters, and I just thought I'd share my experience with them.

We've had chickens for about 15 years now, and I have had somewhere around five or six different roosters. They all were protective of the hens, so I never had any complaints with their job performance, but all of them except my current rooster were demons. As many have posted, we had to carry sticks any time we went into the chicken yard, and one by one, they were "disposed" of. Some were eaten, some were buried.

However, my current rooster is a dream! He is the friendliest rooster I've ever seen, but still VERY protective of the hens. I've never petted him, but I think he might let me if I wanted to. When I go into the coop to collect eggs, he will walk right up to me, and from just a couple feet away, cock his head and look at me as to say, "Whasup?". I don't know if he is just rare or if all Brahma's are like him, but I definitely recommend this breed if you're having aggression problems with your rooster. I will warn you, however, he is a BIG boy and has a BIG appetite. :D

View attachment 3381701
Blue Partridge? 😍😍😍

I am such a big fan of Brahma roos too.
I have never had a human aggressive roos but still love the size, look and temperament of the Brahma hands down. I have found the Buff B's to be a little flighty when young. The Dark B's to be gorgeous but a little dopey and the Lights to be just right. Though will take any and all including mixes.

Thank you for this post. It has made me so happy. We have five dark brahmas (straight run) and I have no idea who is a roo. Matter of fact, I kinda forgot all about it. Think I will get pics and perhaps yaw'll can help me determine who is who. Everytime I used to look at them to figure it out seemed they are all gals, but what would the odds of that be?

We also have a light brahma pullet. Would be so way cool if at least ONE of the darks were a rooster and somehow he mated with the light brahma pullet . . . yessssssss!

Back
Top Bottom