Bobtail cochin bantam genetic question

Tabi6977

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2022
I have heard that the bobtail gene is basically recessive. I have 2 almost mature roos and a chocolate and chocolate splash hen. My mauve roo for them passed away and I can't find a mauve or chocolate splash roo. I was wondering if I would get chocolate and chocolate splash from the pairings???

I have heard that the bobtail gene is basically recessive. I have 2 almost mature roos and a chocolate and chocolate splash hen. My mauve roo for them passed away and I can't find a mauve or chocolate splash roo. I was wondering if I would get chocolate and chocolate splash from the pairings???

Bobtail I believe it's an allelic mutation of recessive white, so it's Autosomal(both gender have two copies of the mutation in order to express it)

Chocolate are sex linked recessive.

That means if you cross a bobtail rooster over a chocolate hen. 100% of your F1 Progeny will be all black, all of the males will carry recessive bobtail and recessive chocolate. But the females will carry recessive bobtail and lack chocolate all together.

@NatJ do you know ?
Bobtail rooster over lavendar hen?
I don't really know. I have no personal information about bobtail, and the information I can find about it is inconsistent.

According to what @nicalandia said earlier in this thread, I would expect your cross to give black chicks in both genders.

But there's an article I found on the internet that describes bobtail as acting sex-linked:
https://www.cochinsint.com/uploads/8/8/2/1/8821267/ci_-_bobtail_cochins.pdf
If that one is correct, you might get black sons and daughters that are bobtails or that have some bobtail traits.

I really don't know which is right.

If you try it, please post photos so we can all learn from them :)

I don't really know. I have no personal information about bobtail, and the information I can find about it is inconsistent.

According to what @nicalandia said earlier in this thread, I would expect your cross to give black chicks in both genders.

But there's an article I found on the internet that describes bobtail as acting sex-linked:
https://www.cochinsint.com/uploads/8/8/2/1/8821267/ci_-_bobtail_cochins.pdf
If that one is correct, you might get black sons and daughters that are bobtails or that have some bobtail traits.

I really don't know which is right.

If you try it, please post photos so we can all learn from them :)
Thankyou so much.

Back
Top Bottom