bobcat proof electric fence

CanadaEh

Songster
May 31, 2018
Canada
Bobcat has killed all our chickens climbing over 10' fence (welded and chicken wire combination) of the run during broad day. We are incubating new eggs now, but would like to electrify the fence so it won't happen again especially now that he developed a taste for a chicken dinner.

Does anybody have bobcat proof examples of electrifying existing fence in terms of wire spacing, distance to the fence, and number of wires? Also does the whole height of the fence need to be covered with wires so it won't be able to jump on the middle of the fence avoiding the wires at the bottom?

Bobcat has killed all our chickens climbing over 10' fence (welded and chicken wire combination) of the run during broad day. We are incubating new eggs now, but would like to electrify the fence so it won't happen again especially now that he developed a taste for a chicken dinner.

Does anybody have bobcat proof examples of electrifying existing fence in terms of wire spacing, distance to the fence, and number of wires? Also does the whole height of the fence need to be covered with wires so it won't be able to jump on the middle of the fence avoiding the wires at the bottom?
Because this cat has already learned where to find an easy meal it will be back.
If you run hot wires at 12", 18" and 24" and bait some spots on the wires with bacon, that will get the cat to touch the wire with it's mouth and all 4 feet on the ground. That will provide the necessary deterrent.
You will want the system well grounded and I'd use at least a 1.2 Joule output charger.
Putting wires all the way up won't help unless there are ground wires between some of the upper strands. Without grounding, hot wires do nothing. You have to complete the circuit. Through the predator.

Because this cat has already learned where to find an easy meal it will be back.
he already been back after I removed dead chickens from under the coop - the same night and next morning - he thought they going to be still there
If you run hot wires at 12", 18" and 24" and bait some spots on the wires with bacon, that will get the cat to touch the wire with it's mouth and all 4 feet on the ground. That will provide the necessary deterrent.
love the baiting idea. Will have to watch my dog though :)
You will want the system well grounded and I'd use at least a 1.2 Joule output charger.
Putting wires all the way up won't help unless there are ground wires between some of the upper strands. Without grounding, hot wires do nothing. You have to complete the circuit. Through the predator.

my existing chicken/welded wire fence will be the ground - I am not planning any grounding rods, but will attach the grounding wire right to the existing fence. So technically I will have the perfect ground all the way to the top. Just need him to touch the hot with the nose of the paw while climbing. What would be the optimal gap between hot wires and the fence to ensure that?

my existing chicken/welded wire fence will be the ground - I am not planning any grounding rods, but will attach the grounding wire right to the existing fence.
That is not how an electric fence works.
The hot wires cannot touch the ground or anything conductive that touches the ground. You cannot charge your existing fence.
You have to ground the system correctly. There are two leads out of the charger. One for the hot wires and one for the ground. You have to connect a minimum of two preferably three (I used 2) 6-8' long ground rods sunk into the wettest ground you can to the ground contact using special insulated lead out wire.
You will need to install insulators on the posts of your existing fence to suspend the hot wires on so they never make contact with your metal fence or any wood posts that will cause a loss of power and wimpy shocks.
You will also want to invest in a volt meter so you can test the fence regularly to ensure it is maintaining an adequate shock.

this what is I am planning to do (as to running hot wires through insulators along existing fence), except using the existing fence as the ground instead of ground rods, since it has metal posts and 1 ft skirt buried in the ground all around - it should be even more reliable ground than couple of rods

How far you think the wires should be from the fence so the cat would neither step over them, squeeze under, or short them to the fence? And the wire tension and distance between the insulators?

Since your existing fence is metal, you have the right idea of using it for your earth ground field.

And since you already have a 10' high fence, put your stand off insulators at the very top. Cat will climb all the way to the top, but can't step over or get over or under the hot wire without contact....while clinging to the earth ground. That ought to deliver all the zap your fence charger has to offer.

I'd suggest 6" standoff insulators of whatever type that fits your posts.......the outside corners are always the tricky part.

In addition to.....or perhaps instead off.....an outside wire......you could run one or two hot wires straight above the top. No way he could get over that.....and makes the corners easier to deal with.

Spacing only needs to be as close as needed to prevent any sagging or danger of hot wire flopping around to touch the supporting wire fence. If you use poly rope, you can probably tension this pretty good by hand.....but that would depend on how big the surrounded pen is.

Last edited:

:eek:Wow a 10 foot fence and you still had a predator get over it!
Sorry about your chickens...

To have a bobcat do that is unusual. I have dealt with them in the past. Here they come out mostly at night and here they usually dig. I have electric wire around my pens and coops. It was done originally because a bobcat killed 14 of my birds. I caught the bobcat. It didn't come back the next night but did the following night. It shouldn't have come back.
IMG_3312.JPG

Back
Top Bottom