Blue copper marans x blue copper marans, how often? = Splash Marans?

KYBOY

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Eastern,Kentucky
I hatched six out of seven blue copper eggs from Davis/jean lines..ended up with one splash marans it seems..How often do you think this will happen??

If you end up with black copper marans will they still carry the blue genes from the parents or could you breed them with other black coppers without fear of a blue popping up?
Another question, what about breeding Splash x Splash?

The blue gene has two alleles: Bl for blue and bl for not-blue. Every chicken has two "blue" genes. Each of these genes can carry either allele. A bird who is "blue" has the genotype of Blbl, or one copy of blue and one of not-blue. A bird who is splash is BlBl, two copies of blue. And a bird who is black is blbl, two copies of not-blue.

An animal can only contribute the genes it has to its offspring, so a black can only contribute the not-blue allele.

That said, some blues are so dark that it is dificult to distinguish that they are genetically blue from their plumage; however in good natural light they do not look to have good black plumage--the colour just isn't quite there--they aren't black enough.

Blue, Black, and Splash Varieties are all compatible breedings with variations on the coppering being contingent on the amounts your parent birds have. You will have to adjust accordingly on copper coloration with future pairings to meet the proposed BCM Standard if thats what you are working toward. Blue will not "crop up" from two Black Copper Marans.

Did you get the eggs from a BYC Member or from Bev directly?

Here is another thread on the subject matter and here is the percentage chart-
www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=164932

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash
Splash X Black = 100% Blue
Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Black X Black = 100% Black

Thanks, lot of the information I was looking for..I got the eggs from another breeder..
The hens were suppose to be Bev Davis and the rooster Wade Jeane line..

Back
Top Bottom