Blue and cuckoo silkie genetic question.

Featherland

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
Missouri
I have two silkie hens.One is a blue cuckoo and one is a blue that came from an egg marked blue/splash.

What colors should I expect if I breed them with a blue silkie rooster?

What colors should I expect if I breed them with a black silkie rooster?

I am trying to decide what color rooster I want to get.

his is the info I was given when I asked about silkie breeding hope it helps a bit. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Blue, black, and splash can be, and often are penned together. The best blues often come from black x blue or black x splash pairings and the best splashes often come from blue x blue or blue x splash pairings.

black x blue = 50% black, 50% blue
black x splash = 100% blue
blue x blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash
blue x splash = 50% blue, 50% splash
splash x splash = 100% splash

A blue-cuckoo hen bred to a black cock will give you cuckoo or blue-cuckoo cockerels and black or blue pullets. Even odds (50/50) for each colour for each gender.

A blue-cuckoo hen bred to a blue cock will give you cuckoo, blue-cuckoo & splash-cuckoo cockerels & black, blue or splash pullets. 25%, 50%, 25%, respectively, for each gender.

A blue-cuckoo hen bred to a splash cockerel will give you blue-cuckoo & splash-cuckoo cockerels, and blue and splash pullets. Even odds for each colour for each gender.

If you want to keep the barring on the cuckoo, i would suggest you NEVER breed to a blue & be sure the black doesnt have the andalusion gene , that its from a black x black breeding.

If you do use blue or splash or black with the andalusion gene, you will hatch cuckoos with washed out skin, beak, comb & barring. trust me, I leared through years of trial and error lol

A blue-cuckoo hen bred to a black cock will give you cuckoo or blue-cuckoo cockerels and black or blue pullets. Even odds (50/50) for each colour for each gender.

A blue-cuckoo hen bred to a blue cock will give you cuckoo, blue-cuckoo & splash-cuckoo cockerels & black, blue or splash pullets. 25%, 50%, 25%, respectively, for each gender.

A blue-cuckoo hen bred to a splash cockerel will give you blue-cuckoo & splash-cuckoo cockerels, and blue and splash pullets. Even odds for each colour for each gender.
This is great info. I was wondering, I have a double barred cock that I want to bred with a blue splash hen? Does anything change in the genetics with the fact that it’s opposite genders. My Cockoo is the male. Splash is the female . Is he blue or black barred cockerel below?

Attachments

• IMG_7929.jpeg
    IMG_7929.jpeg
    562.5 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom