blood trickling from vent - this can't be good...

ok, definitive poop picture. IMG_4977.png

That could be a pecking injury or it might have been a hernia. It can be common for flies to lay eggs there which turn into maggots and fly strike, so look for any or be aware. Keep it clean and apply some Neosporin ointment there twice a day.
The severe outbreak dosage of Corid is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water. The undiluted liquid Corid drench can be given once a day in addition to the water, and that is 0.1 ml per pound.

That could be a pecking injury or it might have been a hernia. It can be common for flies to lay eggs there which turn into maggots and fly strike, so look for any or be aware. Keep it clean and apply some Neosporin ointment there twice a day.
The severe outbreak dosage of Corid is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water. The undiluted liquid Corid drench can be given once a day in addition to the water, and that is 0.1 ml per pound.
OK, thanks. The flock all seem to get along so I'd be really surprised if it were a pecking injury. I could be wrong of course, but I can't imagine I wouldn't have seen this sort of behavior.

She seems very up and down. A moment ago she was actually up and running, and sometimes she's just hiding and immobile. She makes very different sounding little perps sounds now. Just often calling my attention to her I think where she's under cover.

I didn't think to add the neosporin, it doesn't appear very open, the wound. But I will do so now. Thanks.

OK, this will sound massively stupid... I realize that underneath the vent is a large, approx 2cm oval lesion. I think it's possible blood might have been coming from that? It's painful to her but not with blood on it now. I will try to attach photos... except what I took just doesn't show it, I do not have enough hands!

I'm thinking it's that mass just pushing through her skin... and the diarrhea is secondary to that. Thanks, @Wyorp Rock
View attachment 3821041View attachment 3821040View attachment 3821017View attachment 3821038View attachment 3821039View attachment 3821042
It's really hard to get perspective on it from the pictures. I was trying to show how swollen the lower half is. When I blow up the pictures I can see the edge of that lesion is just *ripped*. It doesn't look like it could even be that recent, it's so crusted over? But I don't know. I'll soak it some more tomorrow. She was very perky tonight, eating a ton and that crop is less droopy. I still think it's possible it's coccidia??

Probably not Coccidiosis since you found the lesion, but the Corid won't hurt her if you still wish to treat.

Lesions like that can be due to Flystrike, all it takes is a tiny wound or abrasion for flies to lay eggs and maggots will destroy tissue. Could be from a hernia, a rupture of skin, something reproductive going on...hard to know.

Soaking like you have and then applying triple antibiotic ointment to the wound is a good idea.

Hopefully it will heal quickly.

Sad to report she died today at 11:30am.

She survived a few days here, but I guess it all just wasn't recoverable. The swelling had gone down (a bit) but I think the lesion had grown. She liked the warm bath and the hot water did make her pant and I was able to squirt lots of corid water into her that way. But as you say, it wasn't likely the issue. I think her heart just gave out... 😢

Last edited:
Sad to report she died today at 11:30am.

She survived a few days here, but I guess it all just wasn't recoverable. The swelling had gone down but I think the lesion had grown. She liked the warm bath and the hot water did make her pant and I was able to squirt lots of corid water into her that way. But as you say, it wasn't likely the issue. I think her heart just gave out... 😢
I'm so sorry :hugs

Back
Top Bottom