Black To White Experiment

Pics
Imagine a huge room full of teens at a dance with black lights everywhere. It's odd looking when you see it the first time. :)

Yes, somethings appear to change color, but white always glows.
I've done black out bowling many years ago. It was fun.

The white on my Chameleon chicken feathers don't though.

The Chameleon boy had zero depigmentation of the skin, which would be something I'd expect to see with a creature with Vitiligo. He had a nice even yellow carcass.

Not saying what it is or isn't for your birds, but vitiligo in poultry does not impact the deposition of carotenoids in the skin, for the record, only the deposition of melanin. Smyth line birds were bred from Brown Leghorns and had yellow skin even after their vitiligo was triggered.

I just read that a black light makes Vitiligo fluoresce bright white, luckily I've got a black light pen. Tested my boy's feathers(white areas), no fluorescents.

Of course the article had to do with vitiligo in humans, but the light trick would've worked on a chicken with the same Autoimmune Disease if they had it, I'd assume.
In case anyone wanted to read it. They named their black light, Wood's Lamp.
https://www.umassmed.edu/vitiligo/blog/blog-posts1/2020/01/maybe-its-not-vitiligo/

If you had looked further into this than just the surface level, you would have also found that early stages of vitiligo do not always fluoresce. It has to do with a protein in the skin that absorbs the wavelength of light that eventually is no longer present in the skin where vitiligo is impacting it, but sometimes is still present in early stages of vitiligo. You also would have found that there are other skin conditions that impact whether that protein or other pigments are present in the skin or not, and that individuals with those other conditions will also fluoresce at impacted sites, so it's not just vitiligo that glows under a blacklight. It says as much in the link you posted. Any spot with a complete lack of pigmentation caused by any condition will fluoresce because that area of skin is lacking those proteins and pigments that absorb the wavelengths of light from a blacklight and so it instead reflects that light, making it look like it's glowing.

This is why chickens who have white patches on them, not as a result of vitiligo but simply from their normal patterning, will fluoresce under a blacklight as well. The black light just shows you the patches that are lacking pigments that would otherwise absorb the light, as in from one of the white genes or from silver.

1702411954747.png
1702412005858.png

Not saying what it is or isn't for your birds, but vitiligo in poultry does not impact the deposition of carotenoids in the skin, for the record, only the deposition of melanin. Smyth line birds were bred from Brown Leghorns and had yellow skin even after their vitiligo was triggered.

If you had looked further into this than just the surface level, you would have also found that early stages of vitiligo do not always fluoresce. It has to do with a protein in the skin that absorbs the wavelength of light that eventually is no longer present in the skin where vitiligo is impacting it, but sometimes is still present in early stages of vitiligo. You also would have found that there are other skin conditions that impact whether that protein or other pigments are present in the skin or not, and that individuals with those other conditions will also fluoresce at impacted sites, so it's not just vitiligo that glows under a blacklight. It says as much in the link you posted. Any spot with a complete lack of pigmentation caused by any condition will fluoresce because that area of skin is lacking those proteins and pigments that absorb the wavelengths of light from a blacklight and so it instead reflects that light, making it look like it's glowing.

This is why chickens who have white patches on them, not as a result of vitiligo but simply from their normal patterning, will fluoresce under a blacklight as well. The black light just shows you the patches that are lacking pigments that would otherwise absorb the light, as in from one of the white genes or from silver.

View attachment 3703804View attachment 3703805
I was sticking mainly to the Vitiligo would fluoresce bright white.

I read the entire thing, before I said anything, & posted the link😋. I know that other depigmented areas would glow too, I just posted for everyone else who wanted to read it. But the fact that my Boy's feathers didn't fluoresce any color is what I thought was interesting.

Yes, a complete lack of pigment fluoresces bright white no matter what has caused that lack of pigment. It's not something specific to vitiligo. Which, again, you would have gotten if you had read past the surface on the subject. 🙂

At any rate, I'm unfollowing again, just thought you should be aware that that wasn't the powerful evidence you thought it was. ;)

Yes, a complete lack of pigment fluoresces bright white no matter what has caused that lack of pigment. It's not something specific to vitiligo. Which, again, you would have gotten if you had read past the surface on the subject. 🙂

At any rate, I'm unfollowing again, just thought you should be aware that that wasn't the powerful evidence you thought it was. ;)
I thought the point was: this chicken did NOT fluoresce any color. That means he did NOT have a complete lack of pigment. So that means he did have some pigment (rules out every no-pigment condition, at least for this chicken at this time.)

I thought the point was: this chicken did NOT fluoresce any color. That means he did NOT have a complete lack of pigment. So that means he did have some pigment (rules out every no-pigment condition, at least for this chicken at this time.)

See the quoted. It still does not rule out vitiligo as OP is hoping.

you would have also found that early stages of vitiligo do not always fluoresce. It has to do with a protein in the skin that absorbs the wavelength of light that eventually is no longer present in the skin where vitiligo is impacting it, but sometimes is still present in early stages of vitiligo.

Back
Top Bottom