Black Copper Maran Pullet or Roo

This is my first BCM - I have four young assorted brown-egg laying hens, and these two probable baby roosters. I love the Maran's eggs too, and was really hoping for a pullet. The Bresse hens lay gorgeous cream-colored eggs, which would also be nice.

Once I get the rooster situation sorted out I'll probably just go ahead and buy a couple pullets. Hatching eggs was great fun, but the rooster roulette aspect is a little stressful!

Here's where I got my hatching eggs, in case anyone else is interested:
http://www.alchemistfarm.com/

Really! Well there's hope I guess, lol. My chick does have feathers on the legs like the little roo. I wonder if this has anything to do with gender....hmmm. Off to google!

This is my first BCM - I have four young assorted brown-egg laying hens, and these two probable baby roosters. I love the Maran's eggs too, and was really hoping for a pullet. The Bresse hens lay gorgeous cream-colored eggs, which would also be nice.

Once I get the rooster situation sorted out I'll probably just go ahead and buy a couple pullets. Hatching eggs was great fun, but the rooster roulette aspect is a little stressful!

Yes, that is what I was thinking too, If my turns out to be a little roo I think I will go the pullet route. It is stressful! I'm obsessing waaaaay too much!

I think if mine turns out to be a little too, will go the pullet route too. It is stressful, I'm obsessing way to much!
1f633.png

My black cooper Maran chick will be 5 weeks tomorrow. Here's an updated picture. Comb larger and has visible wattles. Still not 100% on the sex though.

I have a quick question, do copper maran pullets have a green tint to their feathers? I have one bird that has very little comb and no wattles but the tail feathers came in kind of long and I see hints of green mixed in. Im wondering if this is a late blooming roo.

Quote:
My black cooper Maran chick will be 5 weeks tomorrow. Here's an updated picture. Comb larger and has visible wattles. Still not 100% on the sex though.
Hmm. Mine will be 5 weeks on Wednesday, and he's looking MUCH more roostery than yours. Tail is shorter too. He's definitely an early bloomer though. He's feeling the urge to crow, but it's still coming out pretty squeaky.

I have a quick question, do copper maran pullets have a green tint to their feathers? I have one bird that has very little comb and no wattles but the tail feathers came in kind of long and I see hints of green mixed in. Im wondering if this is a late blooming roo.

That girl is looking pretty pullet-ish to me. How old is she? My BCM is clearly a roo - here he is at 4.5 weeks. Not a hint of green in the tail feathers either.

Your chick did not appear to have feathers on legs. I don't know much about the breed to know if they all have feathered legs, but I thought Australorp when I saw yours. I have an Australorp and she has a green iridescence to her feathers. Just thought I would through that in.

Back
Top Bottom