Bird flu ordinances in place- wild birds got into feed but shops are closed, advice please?

Roostersgalore

Chirping
Nov 7, 2021
Hi! So the lockdown (24/7 coop, no longer open food or water sources) are mostly protective, the wild to poultry cases where an hour away and a few weeks ago.

BUT ive run out of the food in the coop feeder and have no way of getting any New feed until sometime next week and today shops are closed.

However I have food which I have now seen bird tracks to. I don't want to contaminate my birds with food that has been in the open bag. But can I heat treat it in the oven in pans on low heat? 140 f or 60c ? For say half an hour let it cool? Or up to boiling temp ten minutes but in a dry pan (its pellets)?

Will that harm the food? Too risky?

Ps
The food was under a roof hence the sloppy open bag but it's an old building so birds get in and out.

The (US) CDC states that 75C is enough to "quickly" kill flu virus (but they don't give a specific time), 60C works but it has to be held at temp longer (20-30 minutes). Either way, it has to go all the way through before time starts. Maybe heat the food in a single layer in the oven or place it in a bag in a water-bath?
Good luck!
ETA- it will degrade some of the vitamins, but I think it shouldn't be an issue for short term use. If you're very concerned or if you can't replace the food promptly, you may want to look at supplementing their food with fresh greens (for vitamin C), etc

Hi! So the lockdown (24/7 coop, no longer open food or water sources) are mostly protective, the wild to poultry cases where an hour away and a few weeks ago.

BUT ive run out of the food in the coop feeder and have no way of getting any New feed until sometime next week and today shops are closed.

However I have food which I have now seen bird tracks to. I don't want to contaminate my birds with food that has been in the open bag. But can I heat treat it in the oven in pans on low heat? 140 f or 60c ? For say half an hour let it cool? Or up to boiling temp ten minutes but in a dry pan (its pellets)?

Will that harm the food? Too risky?

Ps
The food was under a roof hence the sloppy open bag but it's an old building so birds get in and out.
Where are you located?

The (US) CDC states that 75C is enough to "quickly" kill flu virus (but they don't give a specific time), 60C works but it has to be held at temp longer (20-30 minutes). Either way, it has to go all the way through before time starts. Maybe heat the food in a single layer in the oven or place it in a bag in a water-bath?
Good luck!
ETA- it will degrade some of the vitamins, but I think it shouldn't be an issue for short term use. If you're very concerned or if you can't replace the food promptly, you may want to look at supplementing their food with fresh greens (for vitamin C), etc
Thank you! Will attempt! And store it safer another time. Bird flu or no they could get a lot of nasty things from wild birds.

I for one am glad to see the wild bird problem being taken seriously. I wish the U.S. would crack down on bio security. I suppose they are still killing backyard flocks in California? Haven't seen much about that lately but it was devastating to the backyard chicken community at the time.

I for one am glad to see the wild bird problem being taken seriously. I wish the U.S. would crack down on bio security. I suppose they are still killing backyard flocks in California? Haven't seen much about that lately but it was devastating to the backyard chicken community at the time.
Sorry to hear that- I suppose people can keep them safe by locking down themselves. What we were advised:
Careful with the shoes you wear into the coop run, maybe keep a pair that won't track in any contaminated bird droppings.

Careful letting people who have chickens themselves come into the coop.

Covered coop and run 24/7 only. We would get a 600$ fine if that rule was broken..

No open water sources (don't let them drink from lakes, streams, puddles) same with food.

Just for a reference if anyone is feeling scared for their flock and not sure what is advised:) I'm not a vet just translated our advice from the government

Back
Top Bottom