Binocular recommendations

SunHwaKwon

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 19, 2015
North Central Florida
I hope it's okay to put this in this section, since it is related to predators after all. I live in a two story farmhouse surrounded by farmfields. When the crops aren't too tall I like to scan for foxes and raccoons from the top floor windows in the morning and before bed. I ruined my binoculars and it's a bit awkward scanning with the rifle scope so I'm in the market for a new set of binos and thought I would get some recommendations from you wise people. All types of recommendations welcome, and if you can suggest your favorite bells and whistles as well as satisfactory budget models (sub <$100) for me to sort through I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Spotting scope. Sportsmans Guide has some good deals.
Binoculars, IMHO only the big lensed one's are worth it. I've had the small one's, yeah easier to carry in the woods but they don't collect enough light and suck unless you get the super expensive ones. I have a decent pair of zoom 7-21 power forget the lens size, I think 28. They only work good not zoomed much cause it's hard to hold them steady, plus the light issue. Wish I just got a big pair of 10 or 12X50 Bushnell.

I have a spotting scope but find it a bit cumbersome to use unless I have somewhere to set the little tripod, which I don't except when I use it from the deck. The pair of binoculars I have still work but I left them out in the rain and now they are cloudy. Ironic since I won them at a DU fundraiser so what good are binoculars for waterfowling that can't even get wet sheesh :lau Anyway they say 10x50 with 99M/1000M optics and they worked okay but something a bit stronger would be better. The spotting scope came with the binoculars and says 20-60x60.

Most of my predator sighting efforts that have been impactful were at night. The spotlight is first visual aid. Generally, during the movement of the predator betrays them and ID is easy if they are close enough to be a problem. My barn is a good 100 yards from house yet you can still seen clearly. I may not be able to determine gender from that distance without visual enhancing.

I would stick with a brand name. I bought a store branded binocular 10x25 mm Field 5.8, with ruby coated lens, supposedly better than green. Vision is excellent. The problem is the focusing knob. It's not tightly geared, if you go past a clear focus and turn the other way nothing happens for about an eighth of a turn, very frustrating.
It's 10 times power and you need a steady hand looking out a couple hundred yards. It easily fits in a jacket pocket. If you're gonna keep and use from your house around sunrise/sunset. You'll see better with a larger lens than 25 mm. GC

@centrarchid Are you using a red or green light?

Most of shots come at any time - dawn, dusk, the middle of the day. I would love to have a low light scope for my rifle, though I do have a shotgun that will work in a jif in nighttime situations.

@centrarchid Are you using a red or green light?

Most of shots come at any time - dawn, dusk, the middle of the day. I would love to have a low light scope for my rifle, though I do have a shotgun that will work in a jif in nighttime situations.
I have pretty much given up on using firearms on wildlife as a predator control measure. I have taken a few that way but have found other methods far more cost effective. When firearm used, I am close enough not to need scope.

I may have missed point of original post. I spot light just to ID predator.

@centrarchid

I am ID'ing much further than a spotlight can be useful, though I do have a spotlight for when I am going out into the yard at night to check on things.

I also asked if you have a red or green filter on your spotlight.

The coops are about 100' from the house and the rifle may be used for shots from ~75' to over 200 yards so the scope stays on all the time, rendering it a bit useless for nighttime shooting without a headlamp. I have a very good headlamp that doubles as my egg candler and I may see if I can find some red or green filters for it.

I can't imagine what is more cost effective than a bullet, but I'm sure your situation (predator load and their habits) are different than mine. I live on a tiny peninsula off of a larger peninsula, so overabundance occurs after each mating season, there is little to no competition for the foxes, and short of food shortage or disease overload there is not much to limit the population, which explodes each year. However, elimination of any foxes that I see on my property or the surrounding farm fields (which is undoubtedly a very small part of the area's population) is very effective; if I have knowledge of a fox scoping out or attacking my birds and I get rid of it, I can usually get 3-4 months of down time before another shows up as long as i keep an eye on the surrounding farmfields. And yet, also no flare up in rabbits, rodents, or other typical prey animals that the foxes should keep in check. The raccoon population seems to be relatively low out where I live. I have trapped one that was visiting my coops trying to figure out how to get in but that's the only one I've ever seen. One did kill one of my Toms but I think it was the same individual.

I don't think I have spent all that much on predator ID/deterrent/control... Wire skirt around the perimeter of the run (cost unknown, some was given to me for free)...heavy duty netting over the run ($65)...two game cameras (cost >$100 total for both)...$0.75/shell for the 204...$35 for two live traps. Still, I would like to hear about the other measures you allude to.

@centrarchid

I am ID'ing much further than a spotlight can be useful, though I do have a spotlight for when I am going out into the yard at night to check on things.

I also asked if you have a red or green filter on your spotlight.

The coops are about 100' from the house and the rifle may be used for shots from ~75' to over 200 yards so the scope stays on all the time, rendering it a bit useless for nighttime shooting without a headlamp. I have a very good headlamp that doubles as my egg candler and I may see if I can find some red or green filters for it.

I can't imagine what is more cost effective than a bullet, but I'm sure your situation (predator load and their habits) are different than mine. I live on a tiny peninsula off of a larger peninsula, so overabundance occurs after each mating season, there is little to no competition for the foxes, and short of food shortage or disease overload there is not much to limit the population, which explodes each year. However, elimination of any foxes that I see on my property or the surrounding farm fields (which is undoubtedly a very small part of the area's population) is very effective; if I have knowledge of a fox scoping out or attacking my birds and I get rid of it, I can usually get 3-4 months of down time before another shows up as long as i keep an eye on the surrounding farmfields. And yet, also no flare up in rabbits, rodents, or other typical prey animals that the foxes should keep in check. The raccoon population seems to be relatively low out where I live. I have trapped one that was visiting my coops trying to figure out how to get in but that's the only one I've ever seen. One did kill one of my Toms but I think it was the same individual.

I don't think I have spent all that much on predator ID/deterrent/control... Wire skirt around the perimeter of the run (cost unknown, some was given to me for free)...heavy duty netting over the run ($65)...two game cameras (cost >$100 total for both)...$0.75/shell for the 204...$35 for two live traps. Still, I would like to hear about the other measures you allude to.

Placement of bullet = TIME, and lots of it. My time quickly cost more than even a new firearm plus meager ammunition cost. Once in a while you make an easy kill and it sticks in your mind as if the rule. Predator does not schedule appointments for your convenience. I have been doing this for a while and graduated the pee-shooter phase.

Other measures; fencing with multiple perimeters, dogs, pen design,and knowledge of chickens and predators that go after them. I use traps but cover only two runs. I have a lot of pens spread over multiple acres.

I have pretty much given up on using firearms on wildlife as a predator control measure. I have taken a few that way but have found other methods far more cost effective. When firearm used, I am close enough not to need scope.

I may have missed point of original post. I spot light just to ID predator.

I don't understand this. Firearms works every time for me. The same predator has never come back.

I

Back
Top Bottom