Biggest differences between ducks and chickens?

Skye'sDucks

Crowing
6 Years
May 13, 2018
The 'too much sunshine' sunshine state
So my family and I moved just in the last week or so, and sadly I had to leave my duck flock behind with our neighbor. I'm not very happy about this, but as I'm still living with them, it's what goes. :( And I know they are in very good hands at least. (And I have a chance for visits) Anyways, we may be getting chickens over the next few months (I don't really get the concept of why we can get chickens but not keep ducks...personal feelings, I guess...sigh) and I am excited, since it has always been a dream of mine and my mom's. (And I hope I may be able to go back and get one or two of my ducks when we do get a chicken flock. :p Our old neighbor wouldn't mind)

As some quick info: just recently our county allowed us to have chickens (we moved into the same county, and so that's why we only ever had ducks); and because of the move the earliest we would get chickens would be by the end of this year.

So: I will be doing lots of research closer to the time we are getting them, but in the meanwhile, I was curious about what are some big differences I need to look out for in raising chicks vs. ducklings as well as caring for them as adults. They will be for pets and eggs, as my ducks were. I always love personal feedback so that's why I'm asking here. I'm aware there are threads like this before, so I hope it's okay I'm posting.

Any general info can help if people can give it, although I had a few specific questions. One is: when my ducks would hatch out nests, I raised the ducklings on adult feed and free ranging, never had an issue. Are chicks allowed to be raised on adult feed or do they have to have chick feed? Do chickens need grit at all times? I was always told my ducks never needed any grit because they free ranged. I'm uncertain if any of our future chickens will be free ranged, or free ranged much.
One last question: I know its always a must that ducks have deep water to clean their nares in, are chickens different? Or is it a good idea to give them deeper water? (obviously not able climb into though)

Thanks all for the help. :)

That’s a lot, but here goes.
First, I know very little about caring for ducks.
That said, I do know there are some major differences.

Chicks will require a much drier environment, and any deep water can pose a fatal hazard. They drown very easily in just a couple inches of water.

Chicks should not be raised on layer feed, but I believe some people raise them on All Flock if it has enough protein. Most usually use chick starter/grower feed until point of lay.

Chicks need grit in order to process any food other than chick feed, unless they have access to dirt/sand around the yard.

Chicks typically require pretty warm temps until they are fully feathered. So be prepared to have them under a lamp unless you get them during very warm weather.

Chickens as adults are relatively neater than ducks, and they like things dry and don’t like change. Whether or not you free range, make sure you have a safe secure coop for them at night.

I think that covers most differences, other than anatomically, as chickens mate very differently than ducks, since they don’t have penises.

Nutritionally, there are some differences as well, but I’m not very knowledgeable about that. I know ducks need way more niacin than chickens.

Hopefully someone with more knowledgeable can chime in.
Good luck!!

Hi. I can't answer all your questions. I'm sorry you lost your ducks, but I think you'll enjoy having chickens. They don't need deep water like ducks do. I think you'll find them a lot less messy than ducks. Others will be happy to give you more info. Enjoy!

I am curious, how many ducks did you have and what breed? Who was responsible for cleaning up after them, and who was the one actually doing it? That's my guess as to why ducks are out of the picture, but I could be wrong. :confused:

IMO, ducks are higher maintenance over chickens and if you don't have enough space for either of them that can make having them very difficult.

Doing your research first before getting chicks is very wise and that will make things much easier for you. You already have the best tool at your fingertips for helping you with any question you may have, BYC Forum. :celebrate

You will have just as much fun and enjoyment raising chickens as you did with your ducks. Best of luck and please keep us posted. :)

That’s a lot, but here goes.
First, I know very little about caring for ducks.
That said, I do know there are some major differences.

Chicks will require a much drier environment, and any deep water can pose a fatal hazard. They drown very easily in just a couple inches of water.

Chicks should not be raised on layer feed, but I believe some people raise them on All Flock if it has enough protein. Most usually use chick starter/grower feed until point of lay.

Chicks need grit in order to process any food other than chick feed, unless they have access to dirt/sand around the yard.

Chicks typically require pretty warm temps until they are fully feathered. So be prepared to have them under a lamp unless you get them during very warm weather.

Chickens as adults are relatively neater than ducks, and they like things dry and don’t like change. Whether or not you free range, make sure you have a safe secure coop for them at night.

I think that covers most differences, other than anatomically, as chickens mate very differently than ducks, since they don’t have penises.

Nutritionally, there are some differences as well, but I’m not very knowledgeable about that. I know ducks need way more niacin than chickens.

Hopefully someone with more knowledgeable can chime in.
Good luck!!
Thank you so much for the help! From looking at a few other threads, I heard chickens were neater than ducks. I think that'll make them easier lol! (at least in one sense of care) It'll also be weird to be worrying about the opposite end of water needs--not too much, instead of plenty of deep water aha.

I still need to decide on feed. We are just planning on getting some hens, so we probably will have them on layer feed. I had my ducks on Nutrena all flock and so I was just curious if it's okay to use that or not. I believe it has 20% protein? Guess I'd have to look up the protein levels that chicks need. I know I'm very happy with that brand so I would probably go with them if they have a layer or chick feed too, depending on what we decide.

Your post helped a lot though, thank you!

Hi. I can't answer all your questions. I'm sorry you lost your ducks, but I think you'll enjoy having chickens. They don't need deep water like ducks do. I think you'll find them a lot less messy than ducks. Others will be happy to give you more info. Enjoy!
It's alright, thanks so much. :) I think I will definitely like and appreciate they are less messy then ducks, lol! I adored my ducks but they sure could cause a big mess. :rolleyes:

I am curious, how many ducks did you have and what breed? Who was responsible for cleaning up after them, and who was the one actually doing it? That's my guess as to why ducks are out of the picture, but I could be wrong. :confused:

IMO, ducks are higher maintenance over chickens and if you don't have enough space for either of them that can make having them very difficult.

Doing your research first before getting chicks is very wise and that will make things much easier for you. You already have the best tool at your fingertips for helping you with any question you may have, BYC Forum. :celebrate

You will have just as much fun and enjoyment raising chickens as you did with your ducks. Best of luck and please keep us posted. :)
Technically I have around five or so ducks, but there were actually a couple of wild ones that kind of 'integrated' into my flock that I would care for as my own, so I guess I 'had more' than the few that were actually mine lol. They were all Muscovies. I was the one that totally took care of them, I just never went into depth on why I wasn't allowed to keep them so as not to make a very long post lol. It was honestly just personal preference. My mom and I were the ones that really loved the ducks, the rest of my family, not so much. I think a big thing was that they didn't like the way they pooped all over our patio aha. (I was the one that cleaned it off always too).

We actually had a bit of a unique situation with our other house. There was technically a drainage ditch behind our house, but it was also a nice open space we let the ducks live in once they grew up. It got them out of our yard but was a safe place, and they would always return home. That's how my family tolerated them. But now we have only one big yard, and so I don't think they wanted to deal with them again.

We actually have an even bigger yard then before; about half an acre so we have enough space for a small flock of chickens and/or ducks. They would not be totally free ranged or free ranged at all because 1) my family, and 2) I think its a technical law that you have to have them cooped? Kind of annoying. And honestly I don't think it would bother the neighbors to let them free range for a few hours once in a while. But we would be certain they would have a big enough run.

And thanks so much! I'm thinking I'm going to find chickens easier to care for then ducks, lol. And I know I will enjoy them! I always am sure to do tons of research before getting any kind of animal, and I think it is always a continuous learning process even after you get them. BYC is such an amazing place and full of great help and people. :) I know they have helped me save my ducks' lives many times! And I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.

Don't use layer feed. Use an all-flock formula and provide oyster shell in a separate dish. Layer feed contains calcium that is hard on the kidneys of non layers: young, old, molting and males.

Here's one thing similar about both ducks, & chickens. They both can swim.

Here's some other differences between ducks, & chickens. Ducklings acclimate to lower temperatures faster then chicks.

Ducks are super messy, & make more noise then chickens.

Back
Top Bottom