Big Surprise!

horsekeeper

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 26, 2011
Middleburgh, NY
A friend of my daughter's bought an old farm last year and adopted a chicken flock and three geese from a neighbor who was moving. She knew nothing about poultry and often asked us for advice. This spring she gifted me with 6 mystery goose eggs to hatch, that turned out to be white chinese. Two were infertile (probably froze) and 4 hatched. She knows I have had great luck hatching chicks, ducklings, turkeys and geese.

Last night she called to ask if I would incubate some eggs for her and I agreed. She said she would be here in 15 minutes, someone gave her 3 peafowl eggs! I was surprised at how big they were. Anyway, I plugged one of my incubators back in and set them, so fingers crossed they are fertile and I do it right.

I won't ask for hatching advice as I am sure it is somewhere in this forum and I intend to read the entire thing. So excited to try them, and they are from a local wildlife rescue just down the road from me. She said she has always wanted peafowl (well, me too). If I succeed I will try to find some of my own.

Good luck with your hatching. I sell eggs and not that far from you. I am currently sold out but might get some more depending on how the hens feel. I sell chicks starting at eight weeks. I only raise India Blues. Keep in mind the breeding season winds down middle of July to August . Hope things work out with your three eggs.

Good luck with your hatching. I sell eggs and not that far from you. I am currently sold out but might get some more depending on how the hens feel. I sell chicks starting at eight weeks. I only raise India Blues. Keep in mind the breeding season winds down middle of July to August . Hope things work out with your three eggs.

Thanks! Maybe I will wait until next year and buy chicks from you to get started. Or check with you this fall if you cull your flock down for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom