Best way to bond rabbits?

Nutcase

Songster
7 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all, just wondering if you and your knowledge can help me with a quick query about bonding rabbits. I had 2 rabbits (mother and daughter) however the younger one recently died. I am shortly going to take on a friend's 2yo male rabbit and while I have bred rabbits before I don't have much experience with introducing rabbits from different sources. What would be the best way to introduce a male and female pair? The male isn't neutered but I will have him fixed before they are introduced. My female is 6-7yo but in good health and I'm hoping a buddy will increase her quality of life. Appreciate your thoughts!

I'd just also like to say that I have not been on this website for about 2 years so it is amazing to come back and see so little has changed :)

I am not a rabbit expert, but contrary to what a lot of people think, rabbits are not social animals.

I know some people have had success bonding rabbits, but I've never found rabbits to be social animals. When they are young they get along just fine but eventually become dominant/hormonal/aggressive to each other. I had two does about three months old who lived together, until I moved them to a new cage. Then they started mounting each other and pulling fur from each other, so I had to separate them. Sometimes I let two rabbits exercise in a large space together, but I have to keep them away from each other, because they'll start chewing on each other and lunging at each other. Two rabbits may appear to get along or bond but they can change in an instant. One second one will be ignoring the other, and the next second you have one rabbit sinking its teeth into the other's side. I'm not saying bonding can't work, but I don't think it could ever work for any of my rabbits and it would be very risky.

So not my thread, but are you saying you can't keep two female rabbits together in a large pen, or a male female pair that are fixed together without fights? All need their own pens?

So not my thread, but are you saying you can't keep two female rabbits together in a large pen, or a male female pair that are fixed together without fights? All need their own pens?
I think you're replying to me?

I have had two intact female rabbits running around together, under supervision, in a room before. But when they pass by each other or sometimes if they just see each other, they start to try to bite each other, lunge at each other, or mount each other in a dominant fashion. I don't have any fixed rabbits, so can't say exactly how they would respond in the same situation. As I understand it, from reading and research I've done, you may still encounter problems related to dominance and territory, even when you have fixed rabbits. Some people have done it successfully but there have been others who haven't had success. It probably depends on the individual rabbits.

Last edited:
I think you're replying to me?

I have had two intact female rabbits running around together, under supervision, in a room before. But when they pass by each other or sometimes if they just see each other, they start to try to bite each other, lunge at each other, or mount each other in a dominant fashion. I don't have any fixed rabbits, so can't say exactly how they would respond in the same situation. As I understand it, from reading and research I've done, you may still encounter problems related to dominance and territory, even when you have fixed rabbits. Some people have done it successfully but there have been others who haven't had success. It probably depends on the individual rabbits.
Thanks for answering my question. I had plans to keep 2 females together, but now I'm not sure if that's wise or not. It's all theoretical at this point because I haven't gotten any rabbits yet. I'm just trying to figure out what way is best, for me and the rabbits, before I get any. Who knew they were so complicated.

Quote: Based on my experience with neutered vs non-neutered rabbits their behaviour in a bonding context varies greatly depending on whether they are desexed.
Quote: Honestly trying to bond 2 female rabbits is one of the less successful combinations but if you get them both at the same time they may end up bonding because they will both be meeting on neutral and unfamiliar territory.

Back
Top Bottom