Best vegetation for a duck habitat?

Sep 19, 2021
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
I have been working on my duck pen for a while now and I’m now to the point where it really needs some better plants for shade, eating, and looks. I have a fairly good sized pond that is now filling up and I have four breeding pens, so any ideas for pond vegetation would be a huge help!

I will post a couple of pics for you guys to get an idea of the landscape.
1E777991-F616-44BF-8BE0-D5BDAB75E566.jpeg
4012B80C-9A3C-45E5-B004-36F8D1450D8C.jpeg

Duckweed grows fast in warm/hot weather-a floating plant. You might want to put some where the ducks can't get it and put it in the water where the ducks eat as the plant reproduces. Otherwise, the ducks will have it completely gone in a short time.
Ok, I see. Where should I buy it or is it best to collect from local ponds and lakes?

When last I got duckweed I had koi in the pond. To eliminate the chance of fish disease, I bought the plants. If this is not a concern for you, take a fine mesh net and go to the nearest pond that has duckweed. It would not be growing yet, unless your weather is a lot warmer than ours.

I have been working on my duck pen for a while now and I’m now to the point where it really needs some better plants for shade, eating, and looks. I have a fairly good sized pond that is now filling up and I have four breeding pens, so any ideas for pond vegetation would be a huge help!

I will post a couple of pics for you guys to get an idea of the landscape.
View attachment 3038392View attachment 3038394
They need some trees and bushes too for cover from heat and predators. Nice place.

When last I got duckweed I had koi in the pond. To eliminate the chance of fish disease, I bought the plants. If this is not a concern for you, take a fine mesh net and go to the nearest pond that has duckweed. It would not be growing yet, unless your weather is a lot warmer than ours.
I’m from Oklahoma, so it’s really starting to heat up down here. Also, I won’t be adding the plants until my pond fills up in a few weeks, so by that time I’m sure it will be growing. Thnx

Back
Top Bottom