Best type of crow collar?

CalliBee

Songster
Mar 27, 2022
Hi guys!

Wanted to know everyone’s reviews on different brands of no crow collars.
I’ve seen people say the cheap ones on Amazon work just as well but was wondering if anyone likes the “fancier” ones better and why?
My roo is pretty small so I think any collar will work for him, I almost bought some cheap ones but seen a review that said the “new modern ones” work better so it got me interested in what the more “modern” ones are like. (I found one that comes with a bow tie! 😂 it has me sold!)
No but I really am curious as to what’s different and/or better about the fancier collars.
Thanks!

I am new but thinking of trying it. I will go with the brand name “No Crow Collar” as I believe it was thoroughly tested for comfort. It’s considerably more expensive like 27 dollars compared to 4-7 dollars for the other brands. it stops them from filling the sac on their neck with air which they then use to crow with. Not filling this sac doesn’t prevent them from breathing, but I agree that the application of these collars seem hit and miss. With many people reporting issues. It’s probably easy to adjust it improperly. In my county Roos are illegal so it’s either the collar or the pot.

I am new but thinking of trying it. I will go with the brand name “No Crow Collar” as I believe it was thoroughly tested for comfort. It’s considerably more expensive like 27 dollars compared to 4-7 dollars for the other brands. it stops them from filling the sac on their neck with air which they then use to crow with. Not filling this sac doesn’t prevent them from breathing, but I agree that the application of these collars seem hit and miss. With many people reporting issues. It’s probably easy to adjust it improperly. In my county Roos are illegal so it’s either the collar or the pot.
You can rehome cockerels. I have rehomed 9. All went on to be pets/flock leaders.
It isn't just a matter of being able to breath with the collar on. Sometimes they pick something large to swallow and then choke when they can't get it down. They are very dangerous.

I was seriously considering a No crow collar for our rooster but after reading some of what’s been said on this forum, it looks like I will be re-homing him. One of my neighbors has already complained and where we live in Greenfield, MA roosters are not allowed in backyard flocks. It’s a shame, really. My landlord and his wife; while they are all for the hens laying eggs; they aren’t too keen on Bob the rooster since we found out that our Betty was in fact a Bob.

I have not and will not use a crow collar.

People have accidentally killed their roosters with them -- because it works by not letting them breathe well enough to be loud. :(
Applied properly they can breath normally what it does is prevent them from filling their throat sacks, which they only do to crow. You do have to monitor them the first couple of days to make sure you got it right and check it periodically. You should be able to get the tip of your pinkie between the collar and their necks.

Applied properly they can breath normally what it does is prevent them from filling their throat sacks, which they only do to crow. You do have to monitor them the first couple of days to make sure you got it right and check it periodically. You should be able to get the tip of your pinkie between the collar and their necks.
You cannot monitor them 24 hours a day. Problems occur when the bird gets something that's larger than his usual feed and attempts to swallow it and then chokes to death. They are dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom