Best plants/trees/bushes for runs...

Weeds here, but they provide great shade. Joe Pye Weed, cutleaf coneflower, multifora rose. They do eat the rose hips. I also have elderberry growing down in their run. They eat the berries in the fall.
Other ideas I've seen is planting a fruit bearing tree or bush outside the run so fruit drops in, and you get a harvest as well. Mulberry, blueberry and apple are popular options. Cane fruits too. My chickens go nuts for raspberries.

Weeds here, but they provide great shade. Joe Pye Weed, cutleaf coneflower, multifora rose. They do eat the rose hips. I also have elderberry growing down in their run. They eat the berries in the fall.
Other ideas I've seen is planting a fruit bearing tree or bush outside the run so fruit drops in, and you get a harvest as well. Mulberry, blueberry and apple are popular options. Cane fruits too. My chickens go nuts for raspberries.
I planted a boysenberry outside the run this year because my blackberry bush is such a great shade source. Hoping it does as well as the blackberry although it will take a couple years.

It would be ideal to have fruit trees in the run as long as it's big enough.

The added benefit for the tree is consistent fertilizer and semi free of harmful insects trying to attack it.

The added benefit for the chickens would be a place to perch, shade, and fruit.

There's also the option to bonsai the tree to maintain the size.

I have a bunch of berry shrubs that my chickens like to spend time around. Mine free range, so run size and if it is covered can certainly make a difference. If the top is open, it makes options much easier.
  • A mulberry tree is a good option that provides excellent fodder, but obviously takes time to get to a decent size: go for white mulberry to avoid purple stains everywhere.
  • Elderberry, goumi and goji are good options. The first two can grow to 7-8' tall. Plant two compatible plants for pollination. My girls love goji and goumi berries particularly and watching them go after the berries is hilarious.
Anything you plant should be surrounded by chicken wire for a year or two to let them get established. After that, they should be fine without the protection. Also understand that plants take time to grow. They won't provide much shade and/or cover for the first year.

Last edited:
I was hesitant to plant anything with fruit because I dont want to attract any more wild birds. My other run has a mulberry bush which is pretty invasive but also a wild bird magnet. Does anyone who has fruit near their run have problems with this?

My favorite is a red berry bush that grows inside the run. I cut it twice a year at 1.60 m height.
The run is covered with cat netting 3 x 3 cm so I don’t need to water the plants. Only songbirds can come in through the maze. They prefer the scratch over the berry’s.

I was hesitant to plant anything with fruit because I dont want to attract any more wild birds. My other run has a mulberry bush which is pretty invasive but also a wild bird magnet. Does anyone who has fruit near their run have problems with this?
Very good point!

Wisteria might be an option, though it's a weed here in northern California. It's very fast growing and can handle sun or shade also seems to thrive in poor soil. My chickens don't like the plant.
....and they will take over.
Perennial vines can destroy structures unless they are heavily pruned.

I placed my bonzai Meyer lemon tree on a table right next to the coop. The chickens sift the soil on occasion but they don't care for tree. It's been blooming very heavy so very fragrant in the chicken area.

Wisteria might be an option, though it's a weed here in northern California. It's very fast growing and can handle sun or shade also seems to thrive in poor soil. My chickens don't like the plant.
While wisteria can be a beautiful plant/vine be cautious where you plant it.

"All parts of the wisteria plant contain substances called lectin and wisterin, which are toxic to pets, livestock, and humans. These toxins can cause anything from nausea and diarrhea to death if consumed in large amounts."....from https://www.almanac.com/plant/wisteria

Your chickens a probably the smart ones. Mine would reduce wisteria plants to twigs.

Back
Top Bottom