Best feed at tractor supply that’s not super expensive?

Livefree86

Hatching
Apr 24, 2023
We’re ready to getaway from producers pride. our flock of 13 red sexlinks were laying very well until a few days ago when I got zero eggs one day. Normally even in the worst weather here my birds don’t lay less than 50% to number of birds per day and were averaging about 10 a day. Since then they haven’t done any better than 50%.

they have oyster shell available and I’ve added protein into their feed without much success.

Id like to know what brands available attractor supply are preferred by others for quality at a reasonable price if possible.

I use nutrena Naturewise layer pellet and the same brand all flock. It’s great and I get WAY more eggs now
5968CD0C-E5E0-47DF-A6BF-247C4DDFEA62.jpeg

We’re ready to getaway from producers pride. our flock of 13 red sexlinks were laying very well until a few days ago when I got zero eggs one day. Normally even in the worst weather here my birds don’t lay less than 50% to number of birds per day and were averaging about 10 a day. Since then they haven’t done any better than 50%.

they have oyster shell available and I’ve added protein into their feed without much success.

Id like to know what brands available attractor supply are preferred by others for quality at a reasonable price if possible.
First look for hidden nests or a potential snake(s) getting eggs.

As for the best at TSC, that's hard to say. Your local store may have a great regional brand that I haven't heard of. A great feed may be a slow mover at your store and not be fresh. Always check the mill date. Also, moving away from Producer's Pride will be felt in the wallet.

That said, here are a few that I either do buy or will buy when I can't get my preferred and will likely be available to you. Look for the best combination of protein, price, and freshness.

Purina flock raiser crumble - preferred
Nutrena all flock pellet - I use, just not as primary feed
Dumor 20% starter/grower crumble. Good nutritional profile and price point. Poor crumble consistancy/powdery.
Purina start & grow crumble. No strong feelings on this. I just don't like that it's only 18% protein.

Note that using any of these will require supplementing calcium with a separate dish of oyster shell.

I like the Dumor 20% Grower crumble. It's balanced, and at my location only $19.99 for 50lbs.
Everything else on the shelf with the same protein is $5-$8 more, or only a 40lb bag.

You should double check what prices are at your location before you narrow down your selection, and also be open to trying a few.

I once had to buy the Purina Flock Raiser in a pinch, and when I opened the bag and added it to the feed bin, I was surprised to see the exact same color and consistency of crumble as the leftover Dumor. The birds didn't notice a thing, when they usually fuss about feed changes. That convinced me the two feeds were made at the same place. However, that's probably not the case in many places. Feed is made regionally, but sourced according to need.

I’ve never used an all flock feed before. I plan on having breeder pens later on. Should I be using an all flock in thAt case? And do they also make a scratch that TSC Carrie’s?
I use all flock for my ducks and turkeys and occasionally my hens. I do think they carry a scratch

Back
Top Bottom