Best cheap run roofing

I found metal siding for free on Craigslist (and cedar gates and planks and hardware cloth, etc.). I set up search notifications in my settings for various things...coop, metal siding, corrugated, etc. Lotsa peeps giving stuff away if you just get it outta their hair. ;-) I've sourced pretty much the whole coop for free other than some 2x4s and 2 sheets of plywood so far.

I found metal siding for free on Craigslist (and cedar gates and planks and hardware cloth, etc.). I set up search notifications in my settings for various things...coop, metal siding, corrugated, etc. Lotsa peeps giving stuff away if you just get it outta their hair. ;-) I've sourced pretty much the whole coop for free other than some 2x4s and 2 sheets of plywood so far.

Thank you!! I just looked up how to do this, created an account, and set up some searches for the key words you mentioned. Great tip!

IMG_1099.JPG
We used corrugated plastic roofing from Home Depot and it worked fine UNTIL we had a hail storm. Hail about 1/2" in diameter punched holes which, of course, let rain into the run. Last year we had about 7" of snow on the roof, a bit more than "normal" and the roofing bowed enough to impact opening the door to the run. I should have made the rafters closer together if I had it to do again but since I replaced the plastic roofing with metal roofing I don't think it is now required. Yes, the run is darker than with the clear plastic. Decisions, decisions!

Old roof, now metal!
IMG_1099.JPG

This was on my coops, but same idea. I used the cheap corrugated metal roofing and put a clear panel of composite every third one. I live where there is quite a bit of snow in the winter and it gets hot in the summer and this way they have plenty of light and shade too when they need it. It has held up to some pretty severe weather for 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom