Best Breeds For Free Ranging?

re: black birds allegedly being safer-
that only applies if you have befriended the local corvids. its not that the hawk thinks all black birds are crows/ravens and more that if they associate the area with corvids, they won't hang around as much because the local murder will come for them. i've watched our local crows chase off hawks and eagles for years before getting my current flock. if its not during winter (when the crows and ravens roost in larger numbers) they'll call for neighboring flocks and pairs to come chase off the intruders.
so if there's a risk, of attack and you have black birds all sorts hanging about they decide to look for less well guarded areas.
the corvids ignore my chickens. and my chickens ignore them-until the corvids alarm call to each other. then my hens act a lot like my old flock would when their roo would call out a warning.

I’m wondering which breeds best survive airborne predators? In terms of awareness, canniness, running speed, agility, and foraging skills. Live in the Southwest. Chickens are for eggs. Chicken will free range during the day and be in a coop at night. Given bag feed. Ample places to hide.
Someone at feed store suggested Cream Legbars….
I’m not looking to avoid purchasing feed by free ranging. I’m just looking for chickens that won’t stick out
(white). Looking for chickens who won’t just stand around waiting to be picked off by hawks, owls, and so on.
I have eight different breeds, turning 2 this spring, safely (knock on wood!) free ranging during the day with moderate tree cover. The only attack was a hawk that went after my stunningly white Light Brahma,when she was about 7 months old! I thought I had lost her, but there was no blood at all. The others are a Plymouth Barred Rock, a Crested Cream Legbar, an Ameraucana, a Blue Copper Marans, a BlackStar, a Granite Olive Egger, and a Welsummer. They adore having the freedom and varied nourishment/BUGS, though I do still worry.

I just read Kismit's reply, and we do have local crows hanging about, too. Though I never observed them chasing off our many loitering hawks.

I think if your wanting to free range Mrs.K has the right idea. I don't free range, if I had 20 or 30 chickens it could be an option but I have 7 and to lose 1 or more would knock egg production down to much.
I never free ranged my hen only flock of 6 hens until adding roosters + 16 more hens .
6 months is 6 months too long to raise another batch to laying age so I don't gamble with their lives.I have 9 brown leghorns and a couple other breeds but would love to add some OE game hens!

Last edited:
My brown leghorns acted like I was going to kill them from the time I got them from the hatchery until they'd been laying a couple months
Leghorns, at least the white ones, can be a skittish flock probably because their combs are so long and flop over one side of the face or the other side which obstructs their clear view, Our bearded Silkies are fine as youngsters until their poofy crests and cheek beards grow out to cover their eyes and then they get skittish cuz they can't see. We have to trim the face fuzz around Silkie eyes so they don't spook from poor vision but of course a Leghorn's comb probably shouldn't be cut off!

Leghorns, at least the white ones, can be a skittish flock probably because their combs are so long and flop over one side of the face or the other side which obstructs their clear view, Our bearded Silkies are fine as youngsters until their poofy crests and cheek beards grow out to cover their eyes and then they get skittish cuz they can't see. We have to trim the face fuzz around Silkie eyes so they don't spook from poor vision but of course a Leghorn's comb probably shouldn't be cut off!
It took me 10 months to calm my leghorns down enough to walk into the run without them flying all over the place.They stay in under my feet until I try to catch one

Last edited:
Just adding to what I posted a few days ago - I have had 3 Barred Rocks killed by hawks. They are, yes, a good breed - but if you have trouble with airborne predators... they are no go. The hatchery should make a side note telling you they are prone to hawk attacks.
This is a quote from fresh eggs daily that I don't agree with at all.... Some other people would agree with me.

" I have also had many people tell me that hawks won't attack black chickens because they think they're crows or ravens, so if you have a problem with hawks, maybe think about adding some black chickens to your flock. Breeds like Australorps, black Ameraucana or black French Marans are all good choices. " ~ Fresh Eggs Daily

From what everyone says here on Backyard Chickens we can prove this completely false. Now, I'm not saying everything they say is wrong... they do provide some good information... but this statement can be proven wrong.

One important thing you have to think about is what your landscape looks like.... Brown land - possibly dirt & mud - you would look at Chocolate Orpington, Brown Leghorn, Cream Legbars.
Sandy area - Go with Buff Orpingtons or Buff Rocks to name some examples.
Snow - White chickens would be suitable for this environment.

One important thing you have to think about is what your landscape looks like....
Snow - White chickens would be suitable for this environment.
Nowhere is covered in snow all the time, except the arctic. The problem with white chickens is that when spring comes suddenly they'll stick out like a sore thumb for half of the year

Not one chicken breed on the planet changes color with the seasons, like native temperate animals do. They're tropical animals originally and so they don't change colors seasonally

Back
Top Bottom