Best barred rock?

Catharinejo

Chirping
Jun 28, 2019
NE Kansas, USA
My 8 year old is doing poultry in 4-H and since I didn’t grow up with chickens I’m learning right along side him. We are s couple weeks out from the fair and are trying to decide which barred rock cockerel to exhibit. I know these aren’t “show” birds and we don’t gave a group leader so we would appreciate your help in choosing. They are both about 14.5 weeks old. I’m thinking that “A” is probably the best bet as he is bigger and I just think he looks nicer but after looking at the SOP I am not sure about his tail.
AC04A029-D77B-457E-8B02-0F45C351F3BD.jpeg

FBC9CE44-9106-4D1A-ABE1-335CA89610FB.jpeg

Thanks for any insight!

@Mosey2003 Can probably help you out as best he can.

I'll say that they birds are young to be making any decisions on showing. Were they obtained from a breeder or a hatchery? They do have nice looking combs.

Unless it's a really ruffled moment, Cockerel B appears to have a split wing. Cockerel A has a definite squirrel tail. These are both serious faults. But, you already know that you have hatchery birds and it's a 4h show, so it's really not going to matter that much. I would probably choose B, he has a better breast line too.

Is he doing showmanship at all? If so, I would choose whichever one handles the best for him.

I'd probably pick B simply for his overall size and roundness. Rocks are a large, soft, rounded bird. The Standard cockerel weight for Plymouth Rock is a whopping eight pounds, and while a fair may be forgiving, it's good to come as close as possible.
Great to hear that you have a SOP at home, and welcome to the fancy! :)

Just hatchery for the first year. If he sticks with it and wants to show them more we will look into getting nicer birds. We’re just learning the basics for now. :)
@Mosey2003 Can probably help you out as best he can.

I'll say that they birds are young to be making any decisions on showing. Were they obtained from a breeder or a hatchery? They do have nice looking combs.
Just hatchery for the first year.

He’s not doing showmanship the first year. We are going to watch the other kids do it so we can see how it all works and then he might do it next year.

Unless it's a really ruffled moment, Cockerel B appears to have a split wing. Cockerel A has a definite squirrel tail. These are both serious faults. But, you already know that you have hatchery birds and it's a 4h show, so it's really not going to matter that much. I would probably choose B, he has a better breast line too.

Is he doing showmanship at all? If so, I would choose whichever one handles the best for him.
He’s not doing showmanship the first year. We a

We could also take a pullet instead... we had to preregister a couple weeks ago and it was hard to pick. We just definitely have to take a barred rock. I might try to get some pictures of the oilers later to see if you all think they would be better.
Thank you!

They are only 15 weeks old. Much can change and of course you've got pullet options you've not posted photos of yet.

Of what you posted I like second cockerel as of now too. The darker barring on males is better and his chest is better. I don't think that's split wing but could be.

Post again in a week or two and add some photos of the pullets. We'll definitely help selecting the best to bring to fair. My boy loves showing birds at the fair. So much that he made be get him his own flock/breed this year. Apparently he doesn't feel we can share a flock and wanted to make sure I took his input on which birds of his flock we'd keep and which we'd cull. It's really a fantastic thing for youths to get into. I bet your boy will enjoy it ribbons or not.

Back
Top Bottom