Best Automatic Door for Cold Weather and Predator Proofing

Lana_Marie

Chirping
Feb 7, 2022
Hi all — I know there’s lots of threads discussing automatic doors, but I’ve done a lot of searching and haven’t found quite the info I’m looking for.

I’m getting chicks in April (they will start in a brooder indoors), so I am in the process of finishing my coop for the summer, and I would really like to put an automatic door on it, but as they are pricy I want to make sure I get the right one.

I live in the Keweenaw Peninsula in Michigan’s upper peninsula, so winters here are long and cold, often getting down into the negatives. We also have plenty of predators around (raccoons, opossums, foxes, weasels, bobcats, black bears, etc).

So I’m wondering if anyone has had good luck with automatic doors working in sub zero temps, as a few brands I have read reviews of say they will not work in weather that cold, and the others don’t make mention of temperature.

Also, even though I do plan on predator proofing my run, I know these are crafty animals, so I’d really like the door to be secure in the case that something does happen to get into the run.

Other than that I’m not super picky about what type of door (actuator or string closure, sensor or timer, etc). I just want to know if it’s going to be a brand that will operate reliably.

Thanks!

Lana

I have an Ador1 and it worked fine for me since 2017. I change a 6 volt lantern battery,, about once per year. The alkaline ones last somewhat longer.
I'm in somewhat less frigid area than you,,, so cant say what will be best for you..
The similar equivalent styles offered on amazon, are slightly smaller,, and use less battery power. AA batteries.
If you are able to construct your own door, you can get a linear actuator, and control components for a lot less cash. Most of those setups require electricity to the coop.

My pop door is predator proof to most animals you listed. We don't have bear over here.
Whatever you go with,, I suggest a sliding style, that locks. Avoid the other style that opens in style like your house door.
What I have ,,, Ador1
396.jpg

Something you can build yourself.
1644363374071.png

Style to avoid in my opinion. Any raccoon can pry this one open with not much force. In the perfect universe,, the door is flush with frame and somewhat difficult for raccoon to get claws to grab,,,,, but in due time door may encounter some debris, and not shut completely,,, and that is when problems start.
1644363541450.png

If you still want more info on making your own?? ask and I will link posts,,,threads.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Last edited:
I have an Ador1 and it worked fine for me since 2017. I change a 6 volt lantern battery,, about once per year. The alkaline ones last somewhat longer.
I'm in somewhat less frigid area than you,,, so cant say what will be best for you..
The similar equivalent styles offered on amazon, are slightly smaller,, and use less battery power. AA batteries.
If you are able to construct your own door, you can get a linear actuator, and control components for a lot less cash. Most of those setups require electricity to the coop.

My pop door is predator proof to most animals you listed. We don't have bear over here.
Whatever you go with,, I suggest a sliding style, that locks. Avoid the other style that opens in style like your house door.
What I have ,,, Ador1
View attachment 2987800

View attachment 2987787
Style to avoid in my opinion. Any raccoon can pry this one open with not much force. In the perfect universe,, the door is flush with frame and somewhat difficult for raccoon to get claws to grab,,,,, but in due time door may encounter some debris, and not shut completely,,, and that is when problems start.
View attachment 2987789
If you still want more info on making your own?? ask and I will link posts,,,threads.

Thanks for the advice! Yes, I would be interested in the links you have about DIYing.

Thank you!

Thanks for the advice! Yes, I would be interested in the links you have about DIYing.

Thank you!
Here is a good start. Read this persons' posts. He knows what he is talking about.
This is link to a post,,, but the whole thread is worth reading.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/automatic-coop-door.1428493/post-23545254

I have a few more threads in mind,, that I responded to before,,,, but that was some time ago,, and it would take some digging to find them.
Above thread popped up because it was answered recently.

I also live in Michigan (lower peninsula). I have been using the Pullet Shut door (the door that was not recommended in earlier post) since October of 2015. It has never failed to open or close on even the coldest of days. It has been a dependable door the entire time I have owned it. Debris getting stuck in the door has never been a problem and prevented it from working properly. My door does open into a pretty secure run so it has never been challenged by predators, but I do think it would be difficult for a raccoon to get a grasp on the door to force it open.

What I have ,,, Ador1
View attachment 2987800

View attachment 2987787
View attachment 2987789

I don't agree. You second picture there is a Pullet Shut. I have one. It seals so tightly you are not going to open it with a scredriver as a lever. Good luck to a racoon trying to open it.

I would have much more confidence in a commercial product that has been tested than some DIY McGyver version.

I don't agree. You second picture there is a Pullet Shut. I have one. It seals so tightly you are not going to open it with a scredriver as a lever. Good luck to a racoon trying to open it.

I would have much more confidence in a commercial product that has been tested than some DIY McGyver version.
Wishing you best,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :hugs

After a lot of research and thought, I am leaning towards going with the Automatic Electric Door by Coop Tender. It’s the only door I can find that has a working temperature rating down to -20F, and I think it looks very sturdy. The majority of reviews I’ve found online seem very positive.

Let me know if anyone has a different experience, and thanks again for the advice!

I just installed the JVR wifi door which looks a LOT like the 2nd (DIY) door in the first post. I think it works really good for what I'm needing. But they say it won't work in extreme cold. I'm in Georgia so not a lot of extreme cold here. The door itself is thin but as I say it seems to be good for me. I don't have bears or mean things other than a dog trying to get in.

Here is a good start. Read this persons' posts. He knows what he is talking about.
This is link to a post,,, but the whole thread is worth reading.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/automatic-coop-door.1428493/post-23545254

I have a few more threads in mind,, that I responded to before,,,, but that was some time ago,, and it would take some digging to find them.
Above thread popped up because it was answered recently.
Thank you for your vote of confidence.

Back
Top Bottom