Before the bag

Buckhowdy

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
What did people feed chickens before you could by feed in a bag? Just thinking I've been spending a fortune on feed. I don't think Grandma did it this way.

Last edited:
Mainly forage (they could feed themselves almost entirely on a good pasture), as well as scratch grains (corn, wheat, ect), and table scraps.

I read a really good book on how to grow a lot of your own chicken food. They love scrambled eggs, noodles, wheat bread, insects and arthropods of all kinds (meal worms, soldier grubs, earth worms, red worms, ect), grains like sorghum, corn and wheat, seeds like sun flower and millet, vegetables like greens and fruits like watermelon, squash, cucumber, and others.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!
smile.png

Nope, lol grandma didn't do it with bagged feed ;)

You can save a ton of money buying wholesale grain and mixing the feed yourself, or having a granary mix it for you... Grandma preferred grains, ie, corn, wheat, millet, etc... And legumes like alfalfa, soybeans... Weeds, bugs, scraps from the kitchen... Some flowers from the flowerbed ;)

I don't buy bag feed. I use what I grow, and supplement from bulk at the mill. And it's FRESH grain; not sitting for a year before being pelletized, losing nutrients...win/win :)

Then you can also ferment it..or grow fodder from fresh grains...possibilities are endless :)

Back
Top Bottom