Bear attack, lost 10 chickens

TheMinesweeper

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Two nights ago a bear broke into our chicken run and killed ten chickens. He ripped the chicken wire from the coop and in some parts tore the wire apart. He killed and left six and took four with him. The ones left dead he had either ripped the heads off or flattened. I have seven left alive - all of them the oldest ones I own (about five months old). He broke a window and left bloody claw marks on the wall of the coop. I really cant imagine the trauma those chickens suffered as the carnage alone was enough to leave me depressed and traumatized - and I worked on an ambulance for almost a decade.

It's been over 100 here for most of the last week so I think Im partly to blame because I left the doors to the coop open but the run door shut. i always have the coop doors shut at night but the windows open. I cant help but think there was more of the chicken coop smell wafting thru the air than their normally is just with the windows open and the bear thought it'd be easy pray since the doors were open for him.

Needless to say, I'm pretty upset. I lost all of my rare breed chickens: my two Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, my Blue Silkie, my Blue Andulusian, my two Giant Blue Cochins, and a bunch of others. My Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and Blue Andulusian and Blue Cochins had awesome and perfect coloring and I dont know wher I'll get replacements this late in the year as so many places are sold out. Amd my oldest Blue Cochin had the sweetest most laid back personality. She was just perfect. I'm just sad.

So, needless to say, I slept in the room closest to the coop with the windows open and my shotgun and my rifle by my side. I also installed an electric wire fence and smeared peanut butter all over it (that was fun in 103 degree weather).

If anyone has any othef tips for bears thatd be great. I will look again through the threads for more suggestions but Im really looking for something that mightve worked for someone that maybe hasnt been mentioned already, in case the ele tric fence doesn't work.

I likewise had a bear come by my property 2 nights ago. Louisiana Black bears ( usually only males) migrate from the delta in La. all the way to southern Florida. They are protected because they are endangered. Who woulda thunk it. A black bear in southern Ms. It made the local news here.

Sorry about your chooks. Keep a watch on.

I am so sorry for your loss. I wish I had some useful information, but all I can offer is a virtual hug.
hugs.gif

Young birds will tend to not go into the coop at night. They were most likely out in the run and tempting for a bear. I would enclose your run with heavy gauge woven wire instead of chicken wire. A perimeter fence is always ideal to slow down predators and from up close visits. A yard dog would also alert you of a disturbance on the property....... I am glad that we don't have bears here in our area!

Very HOT electric wire is the only thing I've read about that will deter a bear.

Depending on where you live, contacting animal control, fish and wildlife or what ever you have there could give you info on whether you might be in a nuisance bear area and whether they might be able to help you out in getting rid of it.

Good Luck.

Thanks you guys. It's been almost two mnths and of course the darn thing hasn't come back but I'm glad. We electrified the fence but I need to figure out a way to make it "hotter" as I finally got brave enough and touched it but it just felt like a static shock to me.

Thanks for all the advice and for your kind words.

If you touched it with shoes on you didn't get the full effect and it probably pretty hot if you did feel the shock with out being in direct contact with the ground. Animals do not wear insulators that's why electric fence works

If you touched it with shoes on you didn't get the full effect and it probably pretty hot if you did feel the shock with out being in direct contact with the ground. Animals do not wear insulators that's why electric fence works
Good Point^

Get a fence tester, a good one with digital readout, so you know how much zap you've got.
Test regularly to check for anything impeding voltage flow to keep fence up an running at capacity.

Could be you haven't seen it because it visited and got a shock.

Back
Top Bottom