BCM at 4 1/2 weeks (hatched January 10th)

Lady of McCamley

Free Ranging
13 Years
Mar 19, 2011
NW Oregon
Okay...here are my current babies...first time for BCM's.

As of today, I think I have 1 very obvious roo (big comb) and likely 2 pullets. One chick has more copper on her than I was expecting, but her comb is so small I think it is just extra coloring on the hackle rather than roo coloring at this age. One chick has a bit bigger comb than the one with the redder hackle, but so much smaller comb than the obvious roo, I'm thinking pullet.

Oh and should say...same hatch...same parents from eggs from a local breeder. 100% BCM.

What do you guys think?

Multiple photos (of course they are camera shy): 1 large comb (roo); 1 small comb no red; 1 small comb red on neck/upper back
Thanks
Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
When did he start getting the comb? I also have 3 BCM, they are almost 2 weeks, and one has just started growing a comb. It's tiny and beak coloured.

When I picked them at 2 days old, about half the hatch already had combs. So I picked the three without, but now one is growing. Thoughts?

Just a feeling but I think you may have 2 roos and 1 pullet. The pullet being the one with the copper coming in on the neck. You have the one roo that is obvious and I have a feeling that the other one is a less dominant rooster, if you look at the combs of the 2 with the smaller combs the pullets is completely straight, the other one has an slight outward curve to it, when I see that I think rooster.

Just a feeling but I think you may have 2 roos and 1 pullet. The pullet being the one with the copper coming in on the neck. You have the one roo that is obvious and I have a feeling that the other one is a less dominant rooster, if you look at the combs of the 2 with the smaller combs the pullets is completely straight, the other one has an slight outward curve to it, when I see that I think rooster.
My gut tells me 1 definite roo, 1 definite pullet (copper) and one I'm crossing my fingers and hoping, hoping, hoping will be a pullet...that one I'm watching.

At least I have one pullet...I think....maybe 2 I hope. Definitely not time to call 2 roos.

Time will tell.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom