BC Maran Hen - Lethargic with Pale Comb and Diarrhea

Cmonk66007

Chirping
Apr 6, 2022
One of my Black Copper Maran hens has been suffering with diarrhea for a few months. I can also see that she has a pale comb, she seems less active, eats less and seems sleepy more often than normal. She is about a year and a half old and I've never had any other health problems with her or my other hens in the past. We had a hot summer, no worse than last year but I though that maybe it was just the heat getting the best of her. It has cooled down the past couple of weeks though and she has not improved. Three of my 6 hens, including her, have stopped laying so, I thought that maybe they were beginning to molt but I'm not sure since they haven't lost a lot of feathers yet, just a few more than normal. I just added 2 young pullets to the flock but the diarrhea was an issue before that. I feed the flock fermented food, daily and I give them some Apple Cider Vinegar in their water, on and off, a couple days a week. I also added electrolytes to their water, a couple days a week when it was hot. My flock is partially free range, I use produce tents as chicken tractors and move them around my back yard for access to grasses. I've taken the flock off of all veggie scraps and cut off access to new grasses this week but that doesn't seem to have had any impact either. I use some diatomaceous earth mixed with yard sand in their coop sandboxes and I've never had any issues with parasites, internal or external that I know of. I noticed her "rolling" or "flexing" her crop last night and then just standing there with her eyes closed, then she'd repeat the action again and again. Can a chicken live with a crop problem this long? I'm not sure what might have gone wrong here but I know that taking her to the Veterinarian is going to be crazy expensive so, any advice about other options is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230914_112813.jpg
    20230914_112813.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230914_113712.jpg
    20230914_113712.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230914_114649.jpg
    20230914_114649.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230916_133631.jpg
    20230916_133631.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230919_163217.jpg
    20230919_163217.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230919_165708.jpg
    20230919_165708.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
suffering with diarrhea for a few months
When did you last deworm your flock?
pale comb and seems less active and somewhat sleepy looking
Check her for lice and poultry mites and in the coop as well.
I give them some Apple Cider Vinegar
I would stop ACV as it interferes with the calcium uptake and can lead to soft shelled eggs.

When did she last lay an egg?
I noticed her "rolling" or "flexing" her crop last night and then just standing there with her eyes closed, then she'd repeat the action again and again. Can a chicken live with a crop problem this long?
Yes, they can live quite long suffering from a partial or increasing crop obstruction, but they will starve to death without proper treatment.

Offer her pieces of chilled coconut oil several times a day and gently massage her crop. Separate her into a crate without bedding, just with water and some fine grit or sand.

In the morning her crop should be empty. In case it is not, syringe some egg yolks into her and keep up with the treatment.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/safely-administering-oral-medications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335

https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour/

Last edited:
When did you last deworm your flock?

Check her for lice and poultry mites and in the coop as well.

I would stop ACV as it interferes with the calcium uptake and can lead to soft shelled eggs.

When did she last lay an egg?

Yes, they can live quite long suffering from a partial or increasing crop obstruction, but they will starve to death without proper treatment.

Offer her pieces of chilled coconut oil several times a day and gently massage her crop. Separate her into a crate without bedding, just with water and some fine grit or sand.

In the morning her crop should be empty. In case it is not, syringe some egg yolks into her and keep up with the treatment.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/safely-administering-oral-medications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335

https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour/
Thank you, LaFleche, I will try all these suggestions and update this thread with any progress. To answer your questions, I've never dewormed the flock since I haven't noticed problems before but I will do that immediately. I'm in the coop everyday for cleaning and have never noticed any mites but I'm not sure if that might be an issue or not. How should I look for them more effectively? She hasn't laid an egg in at least 2 months and two of my other hens stopped about the same time as well. Regarding the ACV, are you recommending stopping that completely, for the long term and how often do you recommend deworming? Thanks again for your advice!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom