Barred Rock Roosters or Hens???

Pattys coop

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 24, 2014
I am really confused. We were supposed to have al Hens and one Rooster in our flock, however it appears we may have all roosters. They all have combs and the same coloring. Is there a easy way to figure this out?

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

An easy way to find out what genders your birds are is to post photos of them on this website/forums. I would be glad to help.
smile.png

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!

If you post some photos, I'd be happy to help you sex them, and I'm sure others would too.

How old are the birds? By eight weeks old or so, males will have larger redder combs usually. Around 16 weeks old, you should be able to see longer feathers coming in in the back near the tail (called saddle feathers- only males will get these), and the neck feathers will be getting pointy and longer.

Are you on a pc or a phone? For a standard pc, just click on the little icon in this reply box that looks like a scene, (two to the left of the smile face) and that will lead you to browse your pc.

If you are on your phone, and you don't see these icons in the reply box, you may need to down load a BYC app. In that case, stop by this section of BYC on using mobiles...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16183/mobile-feedback

smile.png

the males have lighter colored barring, more like dark gray than black & it isn't as distinct as the barring on females.

if you put on photos here we would like to take a guess ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom