Bantams afraid of a sunflower head

Jenni Hen

Songster
Aug 8, 2022
Malton, York, England
I had three sunflower heads but only one that had dried nicely. Now that the chucks are confined to quarters (avian flu outbreak in UK) I thought they'd enjoy a treat and hung the full sunflower head in the new section of their run - but they couldn't get out of there fast enough! I thought they were just put off by a large object being dangled from the ceiling so I took one in to see that it was harmless, but she was unusually hard to catch and was frightened even with me. Next day I expected them to have got used to it; but, by evening, they were still staring at it and keeping away, despite scatter mix near it.
Also strange and interesting: I got two new pullets in September who are just about integrated, but when there's a pecking order issue they either run or are firmly directed; back into that new section., where they lived initially. Today they didn't go in there and weren't chased in.
I removed the sunflower head and then they all went into that section.
I got out the sunflower head and they all ran away again, and the older birds even warned the new ones not to go in there.

I've found only one reference on the internet to anything like this but no helpful comments. I can't think what would be so terrifying about a sunflower head. Any suggestions?

break it into smaller pieces and scatter those around?
Thank you, Yes, maybe I could re-shape it in smaller pieces. I want it to be different from the scatter they get every day so that they get something different to do. Now I'm thinking of maybe using cardboard to make /dangling sunflower seed dispensers, with a piece in each.

I don't know where you are, but here in UK the poultry's got to be kept in now and last year they weren't allowed out until April/May. The avian flu is even worse this year so they could be inside for 6 months!!

Maybe just lay it on the floor so they can peck at it and scratch at it?

I can easily see the possibility that "think in the sky" is dangerous while "thing on the ground" could be food in a hen's mind.
Oh, right, I think see what you mean. A dangling brassica is like leaves on a bush whereas a dangling sunflower head is a 'thing in the sky' like a very round hovering hawk?

Oh, right, I think see what you mean. A dangling brassica is like leaves on a bush whereas a dangling sunflower head is a 'thing in the sky' like a very round hovering hawk?

Yeah, it's large and weird and they don't know what it is so it's probably dangerous. :D

But on the ground it's vulnerable to beaks and claws. :D

Thank you, that chicken logic makes sense. They're usually ok with new objects once they've been properly introduced but other new objects weren't hovering 'in the sky'.
It makes more sense if I think about how they react to the 'watch out!' call of the blackbird. The young ones run for cover - even though they're inside already!

Thank you, Yes, maybe I could re-shape it in smaller pieces. I want it to be different from the scatter they get every day so that they get something different to do. Now I'm thinking of maybe using cardboard to make /dangling sunflower seed dispensers, with a piece in each.

I don't know where you are, but here in UK the poultry's got to be kept in now and last year they weren't allowed out until April/May. The avian flu is even worse this year so they could be inside for 6 months!!
😬 thats rough. im in the US. There was some Avian flu going around but my flock never got it.

I get reports every day because I registered with the government agency (it keeps me well-informed of best practice).
The situation is indeed rough, and every time I think something like 'I'm glad it's not here' or, as I felt for you, 'I'm glad your flock was ok' then I also think of all the poor birds who did get it and their keepers or farmers that had it to contend with.

Back
Top Bottom